• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brick for heat retention

Started by kayes, May 02, 2014, 06:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayes

I have a question regarding the brick used in the smoker. Will a regular paving brick work. That's all I could find. The guy at Rona hardware said that concrete things may explode if heated. I feel if it can withstand the intense heat of the sun it should handle the low smoker. Any thoughts?
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

Salmonsmoker

I seriously doubt that a concrete paver would get hot enough in a Bradley to explode. A fired clay brick is a better heat sink because of the higher density and it's already been through the flames.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

CoreyMac

It takes upward of 400deg for conventional concrete to explode. I think your fine with a paver.

Corey

kayes

That's good. I haven't been able to track down clay bricks anywhere is Saskatoon sk. Any ideas?

tailfeathers

I don't know what is available near you, but in the states any of the "big box" stores carry bricks. (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) I just bought two bricks and wrapped them in foil, works great.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

kayes

All Home Depot had that would be correct size was 4x8 concrete paving blocks unfortunately.

tailfeathers

You could check with a local masonry outfit, they would probably be able to fix you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cobra6223

you're looking for a fire brick like used in fire places, I found them at Menards here in the states

KyNola

No need for a fire brick.  A common garden variety brick will work just fine.