Finishing summer sausage

Started by dirt1008, May 04, 2014, 08:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt1008

Do you guys think I should ice water my summer sausage when I pull it out? I don't plan on freezing any of it, because I only made 10 lbs. it'll go fast enough. This is the first time I've ever made any. I used non edible fibrous casings from LEM

manfromplaid

i cool my mine to 100 deg. before wrapping but i'am still new to sausage making. the more exp. will add to this i'am sure.

dirt1008

You cool yours in water? What do you mean by wrapping?

manfromplaid

i cool in running water and wrap in plastic wrap before going into the fridge or freezer.

renoman

If you are finishing your sausages in a hot water bath then I don't think you need to cool them in water because they will never get any hotter than the hot water bath. If you are bringing them up to IT temps in the smoker then for sure water bath them to cool because the ITs could be all over the map and you could get a fat out.

Pic-N-Stick

Really??  I thought it was to reduce shrinkage! 

renoman

My sausage never gets over 155 IT and I never cool them in water anymore. I get no shrinkage whatsoever. I used to get lots of shrinkage when bringing them up to IT in the smoker. The ones at the lower back by the element would fat out before the others were done. Then when removing them from the smoker they would continue to cook (like all other meats do) on the counter and so the reason to cool them down in water.

cobra6223

I use the hot water bath and still cool them to under 100 with a ice bath just stop the cooking inside.

pikeman_95

If you use the hot water bath system no matter what you use for a heater you need to circulate the water to avoid hot spots. Look at this link and just think much smaller. The air stones really mix up the water.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34923

KC

renoman

....or just get yourself one of these. They have dropped the price now and redesigned them. They are invaluable when making sausage.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip