• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Once a year cleanup?

Started by Rad Rich, March 23, 2014, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hey guys I'm smoking a 11 pound butt(started last night at 1:00 ) it's looking great and I have been smoking all winter. I have been thinking... I always clean my drip tray of course and the racks and brush off the puck burner plate. Clean the drip tray on the bottom and wipe out the bottom of the smoker and wipe down the seals, but that's it.  As I look at the walls of my smoker and at the bulb and the reflector plate I'm wondering if there is something else I should do for like a once a year maintenance.  Should I take the bulb out and clean the conga st or the screws holding it in? Do I scrape off the reflector plate? I have never done anything besides the normal stuff and I smoke a lot... Any advise?
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

TNRockyraccoon

Very good questions.

I too smoke a lot and have wondered how often I should do a complete smoker cleaning. I clean the V Tray after every smoking and clean the puck tray and burner as needed but how often should the other components get cleaned. Also, what about the best methods to clean the smoker?

pensrock

I never clean the inside walls or roof of the smoker. the darker it gets the better the food will come out. Now if there are loose flakes and stuff like that that may fall onto the food then I would crumble up some foil and brush the loose stuff off, or if I see a lot of moisture on the roof I will use a paper towel and soak it up.  You can clean the heat reflector if you want, I never have, I would not worry about it unless there is a build up on it, be careful not to damage your heating element.
QuoteShould I take the bulb out and clean the conga st or the screws holding it in?
I am assuming by 'bulb' you are referring to the heating element? If correct I would not mess with it. The connections should be fine as long as they were tight when new.

KyNola

Quote from: pensrock on March 23, 2014, 05:29:40 PM
I never clean the inside walls or roof of the smoker. the darker it gets the better the food will come out. Now if there are loose flakes and stuff like that that may fall onto the food then I would crumble up some foil and brush the loose stuff off, or if I see a lot of moisture on the roof I will use a paper towel and soak it up.  You can clean the heat reflector if you want, I never have, I would not worry about it unless there is a build up on it, be careful not to damage your heating element.
QuoteShould I take the bulb out and clean the conga st or the screws holding it in?
I am assuming by 'bulb' you are referring to the heating element? If correct I would not mess with it. The connections should be fine as long as they were tight when new.
Ditto X2!

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on March 23, 2014, 05:39:19 PM
Quote from: pensrock on March 23, 2014, 05:29:40 PM
Ditto X2!

The only thing I can add to what these fine gentlemen have advised is to keep an eye on your vent opening on the inside of the cabinet, I have to wipe it down a couple of times a year to keep from getting an occasional drop of black rain when smoking a high moisture meat.

beefmann

if the inside of the smoker has a  lot of  build up.. or  starting to flak.. clean it... if not..  leave it

SiFumar

If there is flaking, crumble up newspaper or foil will take it off. Sometimes I forget to cover the vent and get some dust inside...I just use damp paper to wipe out.

Indy Smoker

I clean the v tray and racks after each smoke in the dishwasher.
In the spring once the temps get to where I want to be outside I take some crumbled newspaper and wipe the inside to take off any flakes. Then I use an air compressor to blow the loose stuff that came off out. I also clean the puck burner surface. I have done this every spring and it seems to be good maintenance, does not get even close to shiny new and I don't think it has affected the flavor of the next smoke. I certainly don't scrape the inside, just a gentle wipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dano

These are all spot on to what I do.

1)Clean racks/drip tray after each smoke
2)Clean SG plate after each smoke
3)Wipe seal down after each smoke
4)I wet cloth any flakes before each smoke - can start to flake if the Bradley is left sitting and there's a temp shift
5)Paper towel the vent from the inside to remove any buildup that could drip down once every few smokes

Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

DetroitSmoke

I have a rescued Bradley.  When I got it I sprayed it with Oil Eater and let it sit for an hour.  After doing this a few time I eventually got it shiny again.  Now after every smoke I spay the tray and racks with Oil Eater  and rinse, smoke just rinses right off.  Purple Power works also.
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

Caneyscud

Lets see - clean up for Caney. 

1st step - Open Door
2nd step - Peer Inside
3rd step - Close Door

Sorta like my coffee cup - Haven't washed it in 6 years - nobody takes it by MISTAKE!  Nice mahogany color on the inside. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Rad Rich

Hey Candy, another good thing about your cup is if you ever run out a coffee..... just grab that cup and add hot water......  you'll get coffee!       Lol

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk

Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

hutcho

jmforester

One thing you should do every year is open up the smoke generator and clean it out. Wood dust can jam things up. Also wd-40 any moving parts. Then turn on the generator and let it heat up to burn off any wd-40 spills on heating surfaces, and make sure the pucks advance properly.