4 Rack Smoker - Probe Placement

Started by Otdrzman, May 15, 2014, 01:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otdrzman

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I did some research and really haven't found an answer. I purchased a PID, 900 watt element, SSR and a TC-K3MM through wall probe from Auber Instruments. I plan on starting my mods this weekend but I would first like to get some input on the temp probe and its placement. Do any of you guys use the through wall probe (TC-K3MM)? If so, where should I mount it? What are the pros and cons? Do you prefer another type of probe? Thanks for any input you can offer. Toby

CoreyMac

I decided to go with the probe you drop down through the vent. The reason for this is you can place it at different depths in the smoker depending on what you are doing. If I have a batch of sausage hanging I can place the probe exactly next to the bottom of the lowest hanging sausage. With a wall mount style you are kinda stuck. Not to say it won't work but I just like the free hanging one IMO.

Corey

tailfeathers

Quote from: CoreyMac on May 15, 2014, 02:08:12 PM
I decided to go with the probe you drop down through the vent. The reason for this is you can place it at different depths in the smoker depending on what you are doing. If I have a batch of sausage hanging I can place the probe exactly next to the bottom of the lowest hanging sausage. With a wall mount style you are kinda stuck. Not to say it won't work but I just like the free hanging one IMO.

Corey
x2. I run my probe wire down the back wall then bring it forward and stick it down through the lowest rack and let it hang 1-2" below the center of the lowest rack being used. Makes it a bit of a pain on smokes with multiple racks that require rotation but I like the flexibility this provides.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Otdrzman

I can see where that would be more beneficial. Maybe I should hold off on the mounted one and give the one through the vent a try first. Thx

manfromplaid

i have mounted mine thru the back wall just below the top rack and center of smoker. it does not work there all the time so i just take the set nut off and pull it out  goes in the front door to place where u want it. i will be buying another probe to drop in  so i can go each way.
jeff

Tiny Tim

I just run mine through the door, and have it mounted (could just as well be permanently) in the center of an inverted rack on the bottom rack rails.

tskeeter

Just looked this up on the Auber web site this morning.  Auber recommends that the through the wall temperature probe be mounted about 3/8 of an inch below the bottom of the top rack in your smoker.  In the center of the wall, from side to side.  (You can find the instructions, along with pictures, on the Auber site page that shows the description for a replacement probe.  Scroll down to below the description and you will find the link to the instructions.) 

Auber recommends against putting the probe below the bottom rack because uneven temperature distribution close to the heating elements causes incorrect readings.  The heat filtering up across the meat evens out the temperature distribution as the heat moves up through the smoker, yielding a more accurate temperature reading higher in the cabinet.

The instructions do say that if you aren't going to use the top rack (as if you were frequently going to be smoking very large cuts of meat), the probe can be installed below the second rack from the top of your smoker.