Sure they taste good, but why didn't the cheese melt?

Started by ragweed, May 23, 2014, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Got hungry for Cheesy Chicken Dogs by Ted Reader from the Bradley recipe site.  Basically ground and cubed chicken/turkey, onions, fresh herbs rolled in a flattened chicken breast with a mozzarella stick in the middle.  I added a slice of Hillbilly bacon just 'cause.
The Players.

2 1/2 hours at 230* F with apple smoke.

FT'd these for about 1/2 hour with a little water added.

They tasted great, moist not dry.  But why didn't the cheese melt?  Every IT I took was at or above 165* F.

And to boot, I heated a leftover 1/2 in the microwave this morning 'til it was more than "steaming".  Still didn't melt!  Could the fact that the cheese was smoked be the reason?  I used unsmoked sticks last time and they melted.   ??? ???

Ideas?

CoreyMac

You may have stumbled upon a secret "high temp" cheese recipe ;D. Seriously, I have no idea why that happened. I'm leaning toward the fact that it was smoked. I do know the harder a cheese gets (aged) it raises the melt point. Maybe the combination of smoke and aging had something to do with it? Guessing again. The last thing would be, are you sure the IT was 165?

Corey

Saber 4

Joe, I think you could be right about the smoking raising the melting point of the cheese. When I make grilled cheese with smoked cheese I noticed it takes longer to melt the cheese than it does with the same cheese un-smoked.

ragweed

Yup, CMac.  IT was solid at or above 165* F.  And Robert, now that you mention it, when I try to melt a piece of super soft Cooper that's been smoked on a burger for instance, it takes more than once through the microwave.  Must be the case.  This is probably something that Pensrock has known for years, but it was my first experience.

Anyway, the sorta cheesy chicken dog recipe is a good one.  Lots of prep time but it's worth it!

KyNola