• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Honey Cured Bacon

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, June 01, 2014, 08:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I figured I'd give Kutas' recipe a shot this time.  So simple, cure #1, kosher salt and honey, that's it.

Picked up a really nice 16 pound belly, biggest one I've done yet.  I'm looking forward to this one, can't wait.  Here's a shot before it goes into the fridge for a week or so, I'll post more after the smoke and slice and sampling.

Saber 4

Sounds like a good recipe, I'll be watching for the results.

JimRhino

This is something I am definitely interested in trying. Thanks for posting!
Carpe Que,
Jim Rhino

Original Bradley Smoker, Good-One Chuckwagon, ProQ Smoker/Grill, Weber Gasser, Weber Kettle

manfromplaid

yup  i'am watching this one also  it looks like something i would like to try.
jeff

OntarioSmoke

I actually just finished some Honey Bourbon Bacon that was amazing, especially if your a fan of bourbon, but even for those are not a fan.  Biggest problem is I did it as a test batch and now I have to wait for more :(.  Let us know how the honey turns out.

Dano

What was the cure mix you used for honey-bourbon?  Sounds delicious!  I have only done maple/brown sugar smoked bacon with great success so I'm curious to see what you use.  I add a bit of white and black pepper in mine as a not-so-secret ingredient.  ;)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

OntarioSmoke

Hey Dano,

I have the exact amount written down at home but I can probably dig it up, I only did a 3lb slab because I was a bit nervous how it might come so the numbers are a bit off.  I used 10.5's recipe as the basis for salt and cure amounts but then swapped out the maple syrup and brown sugar for Woodford bourbon that has had the alcohol cooked out of it and honey.  I did add a bit of sugar to thicken it up but  it was still runny so I tried to coat it as best as I could and keep it flipped often so all the liquid was distributed and that seemed to work just fine.

Just going from memory this is what I believe was used
2.5-3lbs Pork Belly
1/4 cup or so reduced Bourbon (Used woodford which is a sweeter bourbon)
2-3 tbs Honey
1 tbs sugar
Salt and Cure based on 10.5s recipe
cracked Pepper to taste

I smoked it with apple wood which seemed to compliment it well.

Dano

Looks awesome!  Thank you for providing that!  :)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

WoodlawnSmoker

Well this recipe is a winner for sure.  I followed Kutas' recipe pretty closely, for 16 pounds I used the following cure:

1 1/2 cup kosher salt
approx 100 grams of cure #1
3 cups honey

I rinsed it off after 6 days in the fridge and let it sit at room temp for about 40 minutes.  I dried it in the Bradley for 1 hour at 140 F then applied hickory smoke until it got to an IT of 127 F (about 3.5 hours).  I turned the temp down to 120 and let it smoke for another half hour.

The taste is a little more "hammy" than the maple cure, which I like.  It was just a tad too salty, not much, and my wife didn't think so, but I'll cut back a little next time.  I like this recipe and will do it again and try to dial it down to perfection n the future.

Yes, at 127 F it is still raw but I think I prefer this method.  Just a word of warning, cook it on lower heat than you would store-bought, it will burn.  But cooked slow you will get a wonderful aroma and it renders well.  I love the taste of this bacon and will do it again and tweak until I get it perfect for me.  A keeper!

Here's 1/4 of the belly, a nice cut!

Wow, bacon goodness!

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

A picture of truly beautiful pig belly. ;D

topguntransfer

Truly carnivore candy. That looks awesome. I will be glad when I get enough nerve to do one that huge. It may even last a couple of weeks after it is done. Good luck with this one Woodlawn.
Winston Churchill once said, "I feel sorry for those who do not drink. That is as good as they will feel all day!)