Curing Newbie Part 3

Started by DaveT261, July 07, 2014, 04:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveT261

I am on my 3rd day of curing and ne meat has not made any liquid.  I know Hab said not to pour it off after 3 days like the recipe said and now I am worried it is not curing.  Is this common??

NorthShoreMN

It can depend on how fat the meat is. I have found some fat pork belly don't give up much liquid. It can also depend on the temperature in the refrigerator. Cold slows down the process. There will be others with more experience on before long. 
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

beefmann

based on my  experiences on curing hams,  Canadian bacon, bacon, pastrami and at least 600 lbs over the  years,,,  some times you get no liquid,,, very  little  to a  lot depending  on the meat, sometimes it  was frozen by the manufacturer and in my  experience seems to be  drier like your  experiencing. dont  sweet it to  much.. .continue on

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dave,

You should keep everything in one post. That way it is easier to look back what has been done and helps us to respond better to what the possible problems could be.

I don't know if it is common, but it has happened to me on several occasions, where I don't get as much liquid as usual. After measuring out the Basic Dry Cure, did you add any extra sugar before applying it to the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)