• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Aluminum foil and sauce

Started by revdmichael, July 04, 2014, 12:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revdmichael

When I first bought my Bradley smoker I thought I remembered reading never to use aluminum foil in the smoker and not to baste food or sauce food in the smoker.  But I recently saw a video on the web in which the chef did both.  Can you use foil in the smoker?  Can you baste food in the smoker or use sauce on the meat while smoking?

beefmann

yes you  can  use foil and baste in the smoker with a bit of caution,,, remember if you  totally block off the  rack it  will block the  air flow which carries  out the  moisture out of the cabinet,  also allow any juices flow through the foil during the smoking  process as it  will absorb the smoke and  transfer a  bitter taste to the  meat. not a  good thing at all,,, how i  know,, tried this and found out the meat had a bitter  taste,,,, after the  smoking  process your  good to  go,, not  before.

if you  are  wanting to  baste a  roast, chicken turkey or any  other  cut of  meat, start off with the  smoke for how  ever  long you  want, let the  smoke process finish  then  start basting,

enjoy

CoreyMac

I got beat to the punch but I'll leave what I was writing anyways, maybe a repeat but Oh Well ;D

I think the "no foil" thing is you don't want to wrap foil around the racks. This blocks the smoke and doesn't allow it access to the top vent. As far a basting, I think that stems from not getting anything on the heat element as this is a fire hazard. If you are wrapping ribs or something in foil after the smoke you are fine. Also if you go easy on the basting and don't allow it to just rain down and burn on the drip tray it ok also. I know a lot of guys on here will use a mop when using the Bradley because I think that tends to be a little thicker and doesn't run off as easy. Just keep your pan clean during the cook and it will keep things safe from hazards.

Corey