Maple breakfast sausage patties

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, July 27, 2014, 04:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

It was raining yesterday so I figured I may as well make some sausage.  I only had a small pork shoulder on hand but went ahead anyway.  Too small to stuff into casings so figured I'd take a page out of waycoolcat's book and make some patties.

This is a scaled down Kutas recipe but I added some locally tapped maple syrup.  I'm thinking they'll be perfect for some breakfast Mcmuffin type sandwiches.

waycoolcat

Those look even better than mine. I'll have to look up Kuta's recipe too. You can't go wrong adding maple syrup to breakfast sausage.
I want to be a better carnivore!

Quarlow

Nice, very nice. And sounds yummy too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

TMB

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

WoodlawnSmoker

It's a pretty easy recipe and it tastes nice.  I only did a small batch so I used dried spices; I'm going to do a bigger batch soon so seeing as how it's summer I'm going replace with everything fresh I can get from the garden or farmers market.

This is for a 5 pound batch:

• 5 pound pork shoulder
    1 cup ice water
    6 grams Cure #1
    2 Tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 Tablespoon ground white powder
    1 Tablespoon rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 Tablespoon Thyme
    1/2 cup soy protein (not packed)
    1/2 cup maple syrup

I use maple or cherry smoke.

tskeeter

Since the sausage patties look cooked, I assume you smoked at about 200 for something like a couple hours?

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: tskeeter on July 28, 2014, 02:51:49 PM
Since the sausage patties look cooked, I assume you smoked at about 200 for something like a couple hours?

Ah yes, sorry.  I started at 120 F with no smoke for 1/2 hour.  I then applied smoke and raised the temp 10 degrees F every half hour, stopping at 160 F.  I took them to an IT a little over 140 F.  Total time in the smoker was less than 3 hours as the patties aren't very thick.  I'll just finish cooking thoroughly before I serve.

barbquebec

...looks good...might I suggest a Bachelder Saunders Vineyard Chardonnay 2012...  ;)  8)

cobra6223

CKR

New to sausage making so excuse my questions....but you will freeze from this point and then Heat in the oven or skillet when ready to eat?

Ah yes, sorry.  I started at 120 F with no smoke for 1/2 hour.  I then applied smoke and raised the temp 10 degrees F every half hour, stopping at 160 F.  I took them to an IT a little over 140 F.  Total time in the smoker was less than 3 hours as the patties aren't very thick.  I'll just finish cooking thoroughly before I serve.
[/quote]

Quarlow

Quote from: CKR on September 04, 2014, 12:27:09 PM

New to sausage making so excuse my questions....but you will freeze from this point and then Heat in the oven or skillet when ready to eat?

[/quote]Yup you got it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.