snack sticks

Started by dave01, November 06, 2014, 05:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave01

Probably a stupid question but want to make some snack sticks and was wondering how you decide if you use casings or not, I see them done both ways. Also would like a sweet and hot recipe if anyone knows one. I've been trying to research it but am not sure how to get the sweet,,,, honey, corn syrup, pineapple juice or what and how much for a 5lb. batch.
Thanks for any replies

Mr Walleye

Hi Dave

I'm not a real sweat sausage type of guy so I prefer the heat.  ;D

I think a real good starting place for you is Greg's Spicy Snack Sticks recipe

It's a great recipe on it's own and it can easily handle more cayenne for some extra heat for my taste. I would recommend using the recipe as is depending on your taste for heat but add some honey to get the sweat your looking for. You may have to tweak it a bit a couple times to find the flavor your looking for. One thing for sure, I'm sure they will turn out great whatever you do.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

dave01

Thanks Mike, I'll give Gregg's recipe a try this weekend. I like the Jack links sweet and spicy so thats kind of what I'm shooting for. Does about 2 Tbs of honey for 5lbs sound right

Mr Walleye

I think that would be a good start. I don't think you would want to go overboard the first shot at it. Your better off being slightly under on the sweetness side then too much and at 2 Tb I think you will be fine.

Once you get one batch under your belt (pun intended  ;D ) you'll be able to tweak it more to your liking.

Keep us posted how you make out.

Mike

Enid

I've done a honey bbq stick and I used 1/4 cup honey for 5lbs.

dave01

Well I finally made the snack sticks today. I used Gregg's Spicy Snack Stick recipe. I did put in 1 more tsp of cayenne pepper and 3 Tbs of honey. They hit 152 and I took them out. There near perfect, maybe 1/2 more tsp of cayenne. It was a 5lb batch.
Thanks for the help I got with this and thank you Gregg

Mr Walleye

Right on Dave!

I'm glad to here you were successful. One thing about making sausage, I don't think you will ever be done tweaking recipes.  ;D

Mike

pensrock

Sounds like they worked well for you, I'm glad you liked the recipe. I normally put extra cayenne and chipotles in when I make them but made up the basic recipe so it was not too hot so everyone could enjoy.  :)

dave01

Yes it's a great recipe, I look forward to using it again in the future. Were getting ready to leave Florida for a warmer climate so won't get to smoke anything before we get back to the US in the spring. I'll be working on building a smoker in the RP this winter but probably won't have it up and running this year yet. I guess I'll just be dreaming of making sausage, I haven't tried yet but the snack sticks got me hooked. Have a great winter guy's and I'll be trying to keep up and learn some new things on the forum

tailfeathers

Leaving Florida for someplace warm? In South Dakota we figure that's Omaha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

manfromplaid

in alberta we think that's south dakota

mustangmoe

Some just dream and some of you guys get to live the dream, enjoy your time someplace warmer where ever that is

Sent from my I-Phone