• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bisquettes

Started by Jackknifecreek, December 26, 2014, 03:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackknifecreek

I am new to the Bradley. It is my understanding that the bisquette burner cycles and burns a bisquette every 20 minutes. My question is do I have to use the 3 bisquettes per hour or can I slow the process down by manually advancing a bisquette say every 30 or 40 minutes?

Question 2 would be where the best place to get replacement bisquettes from. I live in a remote area and do not have access to any big chain stores like Home Depot less than a hundred miles away. Mail order would be work the best for me.

tailfeathers

Cabelas offers them, watch for a sale or a free shipping offer and stock up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

dave01

Amazon is another choice

ragweed

Yardandpool.com has them too, as well as other Bradley items.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jackknifecreek;

Welcome to the forum.

In regards to your first question; the factory generators automatically cycle a bisquette every 20 minutes or so, while the generator is on. If you turn the generator off the bisquette burner is also turned off. So while the generator is on, you can manually move the bisquettes through in a shorter time, but cannot lengthen the time the bisquette is on the burner.

There was a recent repost of a person who has modified his generator so he can adjust the burn-time. You may want to do a search on this forum for that post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Grouperman941

If you really wanted to burn each puck for more than 20 minutes, you could manually load them, one at a time, onto the burner at whatever interval you'd like.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

ragweed

As to your first question, I believe the generator was designed to push pucks every 20 minutes because the "best" smoke is produced during the first 20 minutes.  The longer they burn, the more acrid the smoke becomes.

Jackknifecreek

Thanks Gang,

I appreciatte the advice. I will just use it as it was designed. I was just trying to save a little money on the bisquttes but after following the advice of y'all and looking on Amazon and Cabellas the price per hour really isn't that bad considering the end product you get with the Bradley.

tskeeter

Jack, a couple of other bisquette sources that might be worth a look are Spokane Spice, in Spokane or Allied Kenco Sales, in Houston.  Over the years, I think I've purchased bisquettes from all of the sources listed at one time or another.  It's depended on who was running a sale or if I was buying something else from the supplier and bought some bisquettes to meet the purchase requirement for free shipping.  If you're stocking up, it's often worth your time to do a little comparison shopping to see which of the supplier has the bet  price at the time.

Quarlow

Ok first off, you don't want to burn longer because after the 20 mins. you start to release the tars and carcinogens. You might save a few pennies but you feed you family the cancers causing agents.

Now as for the money. You need to realize that you are only burning 3 pucks an hour at a price of about $.68 a piece. = $2.04 an hour. A real long smoke is say Pulled Pork of about 4 hours which equals $8.16. When you consider what you would have to do with a homebuilt smoker and regular wood. Lets start with going to the woods to harvest the wood. Cutting it down, bucking it up, hauling it home, cutting it into slices and saving the sawdust to burn with the slices. You can see how the cost adds up compared to the price of Bisquettes.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

cjwis11

Just found them on ebay for $17.95 that's $.38 per puck and $1.14 per hour. Thats way cheaper than cutting your own wood, and someone brings it to your door

Jackknifecreek

Thanks guys,

Your right and I did a little math and found I was just being a tight A@#. I got some ordered on line and found that the 120 pack was the best bang for the buck.

Quarlow

My work is done here. lol
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.