• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Noob with an OBS Smoker saying Hi

Started by jeffo65, May 04, 2015, 11:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffo65

Hi all,

Noob from St Charles, MO with a new OBS smoker.  So far I really like this.

Last week received a BS611 4 rack OBS smoker for my birthday from my wife.  It was time to replace my charcoal smoker.  I have seasoned it and did some chicken as the first test/smoke.  The chicken turned out great.  I used a chipotle rub that I bought in Santa Fe, NM a year ago.

I am getting ready to do a couple 6 pound pork butts, but I have a question.  I plan on using smoke for about 3 hours, so I will put in 3 hours worth of bisquettes, toppped with a couple of homemade Bubba Pucks.  Once the 3 hours of advancing bisquettes via the smoke generator, do I need to turn anything off, or just let the generator go? 

I messed around with the power buttoons during seasoning and I noticed that when I shut the power off (up/down on/off switch) to the generator, the heat in the smoker box dropped very quickly.  So I had to turn the power switch back on.

Just a bit confused.

Thanks all

TMB

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

piratey

Welcome to the forum. 

Let the generator keep going.  The generator controls the actual heating element in your smoker.  If you turn off the generator, it turns off the heating element also.  The other thing to keep in mind, the smoke generator has a 125W heating element in it; that is what burns the pucks to produce smoke.  Keeping it going also helps the unit heat and recover temperature quicker.

beefmann

dave01

jeffo65

Thanks all.

Piratey - Thanks for the info.

Smoking 4 PBs this weekend.