• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Whats with all the bad reviews on the 4 rack digital smokers

Started by meed9, June 08, 2015, 03:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meed9

Hi All
I want to buy a Bradley smoker but there are so many negative reviews... Such as   Not hot enough.....heating element faulty,,,door falling apart.... The best one is have to put dual elements on a new smoker... I am confused...Does Bradley now of these problems. I want to get into smoking but not smoking problems and throwing away money....Please advise

Grouperman941

If you are worried about cost, the New Original Bradley Smoker (BS611) is a better value. The digital's capabilities don't warrant the higher cost, IMO, unless you are looking at the 6 rack.  Plenty of people are happy with the 4 rack digital, and I would not have a problem buying one.

You see so many complaints on the forum because this is where people come to look for help when they have problems. Then people who have had similar problems commiserate, and it seems like everyone in the world has had that problem.

Personally, I used my BS611 for about a year with no mods and cooked a ton of great food. After a year, I got an Auber PID controller to more precisely control temperatures and cooked a ton more great food. Using the temp controller expands the possibilities of what you can do, but it is not necessary. None of the other mods are 'necessary' either, but depending on your circumstances, they can make life easier when cooking or expand the realm of what you can do. The only mod I did was to add a foil-wrapped brick to help hold temperatures a little better.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

meed9

Thank-you so much for responding. I just want to make the right choice in regards to smokers

piratey

The temperature issue may be due to where you smoke.  I smoke in sunny northern california, so I never have issues with temperature.  I have a stock bradley and it works well for me.  Learn your equipment, and you'll be fine.

meed9

I live in Ontario Canada.. so we get pretty cold winters... Doing lots of reading before I dive in... Thank-you

pjplovedog

I agree that this might be a place for a lot of problem/complaints to be aired and maybe that skews the perceptions.
Having said that, I also have had my fair share of issues with the OBS. When it worked, it produced some great food.   I will not elaborate further, but if I total up all the $$ that I have spent on repairing/replacing parts, the SG,  etc, I could have purchased a much better, more expensive  product from the get-go and been money ahead.
I know that might anger people here, but that has been my personal experience after 3 years with the OBS.
I would not recommend it to anyone who is not a great mechanic and electronic expert. I don't use it anymore.   

:)

Wildcat

I bought my OBS in 2006 and the only issue I had was a cracked face plate for the slider. Never repaced it and it has always worked fine. I added a PID for tighter temp control. Plenty of Canadians on here who use their models in winter with little or no mods and crank out great food. The Bradley functions just fine out of the box. Higher cooking temps are desired by many therefore they modify theirs. Some do so for faster recovery when opening the door, etc. 200 to 225 F cabinet temp is plenty hot enough to slow cook anything that one would want to smoke IMHO. If you want fast buy a grill. I have 2 of those. Granted the Bradley is slow but that is what I like about it. Many have had issues with their units, but many more have not. It is the same with most items on the market.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Total agreement with Wildcat.  Original Bradley owner since January 2007...no parts have been replaced, but I do also have the cracked face plate and have added a PID because I like setting to a number instead of a position.  As for cool/cold weather operation, I can hit the 270* limit switch on a 20* day (colder than that, I don't bother with it so I don't know how it would do).

Habanero Smoker

I live in New York, though the winters don't get bitterly cold, in the dead of winter temperatures can be around the low 20's for highs, and I have smoked food at those temperatures with an originally stocked Bradley. Of course, you will have to make adjustments in the way you use it during the winter; the same you would if using a gas grill or charcoal grill during colder weather. I've had my OBS since 2004, and the only thing I had to replace was the front face plate, and the door. The door had to be replaced, after the second time it was blown off the cart I had it on, and it fell six feet to the ground. Even after that fall, it still functioned.

I like to tinker with things, so I did add a few mod. I purchased a BBQ-Guru DigiQ to help control temperature, because I wanted tighter temperature without having to frequently adjust the slider, but if you are cooking chicken, pork (any cut), brisket, or just about anything else (including vegetables), you don't need the tight temperatures I was looking for. I used it almost 5 years, before I added my second element, for faster recovery times. That comes in handy, especially when I was smoking/roasting large loads.

As far as adding mods, many forums that address a product will have many members modifying their product. If you go to the Virtual Weber Bullet site, you will see a ton of modifications for the Smokey Mountain. The Smokey Mountain is a great charcoal smoker, right out of the box. It doesn't require any mods, but many just like to improve the performance and/or add accessories.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jim O

I also live in Central Ontario and have used a "stock" 4 rack digital for about 5 years with no problem . Regarding temps- remember the secret behind good smoking is " low and slow". I also smoke all wimter,although my smoker is vented thru a window in the garage.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

KyNola

Purchased my 4 rack digital in 2007.  Absolutely no parts cracked or replaced.  Added extra rack rails so I can use 8 racks of smaller items.  I honestly believe that a lot of the complaints originate through the owner that didn't take the time to learn the curve on their Bradley.  Rather than take the time to learn, just blame it on the unit.

meed9, I'm not going to tell you that you won't have issues but I will tell you that Bradley will stand behind their product and we will help you with the learning curve if you should choose to purchase a Bradley.

Smoker John

I've had my 4 rack digital for 3 years & have had no issues and also use it in the winter, quite happy with the product. Definitely a bit of a learning curve and plenty of help is available on this forum.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Gafala

Quote from: KyNola on June 09, 2015, 07:24:05 AM
Purchased my 4 rack digital in 2007.  Absolutely no parts cracked or replaced.  Added extra rack rails so I can use 8 racks of smaller items.  I honestly believe that a lot of the complaints originate through the owner that didn't take the time to learn the curve on their Bradley.  Rather than take the time to learn, just blame it on the unit.

meed9, I'm not going to tell you that you won't have issues but I will tell you that Bradley will stand behind their product and we will help you with the learning curve if you should choose to purchase a Bradley.

I added four more racks, did the 900 watt mod with PID and have had no problems that I couldn't handle my self. I agree some don't take the time to learn and just blame the smoker. I use mine year around cold weather rain what ever, mine is under a patio roof no other cover and works great. I've had mine just about 3 years also.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

NorthShoreMN

I have used 6 rack digital since 2011. Use foil cover brick (preheated n oven or grill) during cold weather.  Replaced door hinge other than that still original and does a great job as a set and forget low and slow smoker. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

meed9

Thank-you to all the responses.. this has helped greatly