• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help with Brisket after smoke - Did I ruin it

Started by Boydz, December 29, 2015, 10:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boydz

Hi guys,

New here. Have a quick question.
I received a new DBS for Xmas and grabbed a 7lb Brisket point I had left over frozen and smoked it yesterday but it ended up taking forever to finish out after it stalled at 160 for awhile so we missed it for dinner. I finally yanked it at 11pm at 185 IT and wrapped in foil and was going to FTC it and ended up being so tired I just threw the whole thing(brisket, Foil, and towel wrapped) in the fridge on the bottom shelf and left it overnight in there. I pulled it out this morning 10hrs later and for giggles, I stuck a thermometer in it and it was still at 90deg. I am concerned that it sat for way too long in the danger zone below 140.
What do you think ?
Would reheating it kill this or is it just not worth the risk ?
It was only the Point as I had cooked the flat months ago.
I probably should have rapid cooled it or at least pulled it from the towel and foil maybe before refrigeration. Smack my head !! I was just so tired and over it by 11pm.

Thanks in advance !

beefmann

every thing you  are saying ,, ,is telling me that you went through the danger zone just  fine and  with no problems at all,.... most stalls happen between 145 F ish and 160 F ish and  we will never  know how long it  will take,,,so on that  note your fine.

As for your brisket still being at 90 F the next  morning,.. after 10 hours,,,  look back at what you  did,,, you  had the brisket wrapped in foil..at thins  point it  will take longer to cool... then wrapped in a  towel... the towel acts like insulation which tends to keep the heat in the brisket,,, should you  be worried,,, Humm..  my  opinion no. ... though you should have removed the towel and  placed the brisket  and the  foil in the  fridge,,, minor mis hap...

cut a  little from the end and taste it,,,,

I believe you  will be  fine

Habanero Smoker

Something similar happened when I smoke/cooked a turkey ahead of time. After it was fully cooked, I placed it in a pan, covered with foil, and placed it in the refrigerator. Almost twelve hours later the internal temperature was still in the 50's. Being that it was poultry, I tossed it.

Tasting is not a safe way to test if your food is spoiled or not. Your food can be spoiled, and still taste fine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I personally would toss it. It may be alright, but I have experienced bad food on a few occasions and I would gladly give away a few hundred bucks not to experience it again. Did you check food in the fridge that was near it?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/