• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Did My Bradley Die?

Started by Michael, June 21, 2024, 06:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I have the 4-rack Bradley that is roughly 15 years old.  Today I was setting the puck timer when I heard a pop, smelled something electrical and the digital display went blank.  I was hoping it was just the fuse.  I unscrewed the fuse cover and I was unable to remove the fuse, even when I pulled on it with needle-nosed pliers. I assume the fuse should easily slip out.  Any thoughts?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Michael;

Sorry to welcome Yu to the forum in this manner. It sounds like more than a fuse problem, but it can be checked out.

You are the second person, within a month that has reported problems with removing the fuse. If you feel safe, and are familiar with tinkering with electrical appliances, you can take the cover off the generator in order to get to the fuse assembly. It's a matter of removing several screws from the bottom of the generator.

Once the screws are removed the cover should open like a clam shell. Be careful removing the cover, because it is still attached by several wires. It can be open enough to work on removing the fuse assembly. While it is open, check all connections to make sure they are tight, and check for any damage; especially electrical damage. If you see signs of electrical damage, contact Bradely support. For the fuse assembly, note how the wires are attached to the fuse assembly, before you detach them. I like to take a picture of the wiring before removing them.

While you have it open, it is a good time to clean the inside of the generator up. Do not use WD-40, but use an electrical contact cleaner to clean the contact. WD-40 leave a residue, and dust and debris can build up.

Next you will need to unscrew the plastic nut that holds the assembly to the body of the generator. I find that needle nose pliers work best for this. Once the nut is removed you can pull the whole assembly out, to inspect it, and hopefully remove the fuse. If needed you may have to replace it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Michael

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Update: I assume the fuse connection once had two electrical wires connected to it.  One is still connected but the other one apparently shorted out, melting the connection both on the fuse and on the wire connection.  My wife who is concerned about an electrical fire has given me permission to buy another smoker.  Apparently she wisely doesn't trust my DIY electrical skills to make repairs....

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you are getting a new smoker. In this case, I would have to agree with your wife. :-)

Not that I question your ability, but because I would be concerned as to why the wire melted, and the fuse didn't to prevent that short.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)