• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Dungeness Crab Meat

Started by rdperry, September 28, 2006, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdperry

I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't seem to find the information.

Does anyone have any detailed information on smoking dungeness crab? Are they smoked before or after they are cooked? Do you shuck the meat and then smoke it?
I have an origional Bradley Smoker.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Rob

tsquared

rd--I've never actually tried smoking Dungeness. I'm eager to hear any replies, as we have quite a bit in the freezer from the summer's catch. Good post and welcome to the forum.
T2

Oldman

I have not done crab as I like the way they taste as is. However, given the type of sea food this is, common sense would say to hot smoke the crab @ 225 F. I would use a mild wood such as Adler. Dredge the crap in butter, and add something like Old Bay Seasoning to the outside of the meat. No more than a then two pucks worth of smoke.  Of course I'm talking about crab meat that has been shelled. Jerky racks would be my choice to use.

Give it a try using small amounts adjusting your time, temp and amount of wood between each test batch. Remember it does not take crab long to be complete cooked. As we all know it there is nothing worse than good crab that was turned into rubbery dry meat that you end up giving to the dogs.

It would be hard to use a probe on the meat so taking note of Box temp, smokin' times is going to be very important.

Good luck and let's know!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Okay; here's my opinion on smoking crab. I took out some king crab Sunday to have with our rib eyes. I saved half for the traditional wrap in foil with Old Bay and reheat in the oven. The other half I tossed in the smoker and gave it two pucks of alder. After a quick taste I promply walked it over to the trash can. I guess some things you just don't mess with in the smoker. Six out of six did not like it at all. They all asked why you want to hide the natural flavor of the crab anyhow? Just my observation on it. I'll stick with reheating and dipping in butter. Now oysters and scallops are a whole different thing. ;) :)

Thunder Fish

Iceman, do you blanch your oysters before smoking them.........if so how long?

manxman

QuoteThey all asked why you want to hide the natural flavor of the crab anyhow?

Welcome to the forum rdperry. I'm with iceman on this, I tried a small portion of crab a while ago as I happened to be preparing some crab and doing a smoke at the same time with some other seafood.

Used a couple of pucks of apple...... quick taste and straight in the bin like iceman's. :-[ :'(

For me this quote sums it up perfectly:

QuoteI guess some things you just don't mess with in the smoker.

I am not a fan of smoked oysters or scallops but that is personal preference, a lot of folks do like them. For me oysters are best raw washed down with a pint of Guinness!
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: Thunder Fish on October 05, 2006, 10:20:45 PM
Iceman, do you blanch your oysters before smoking them.........if so how long?
Nope. I just wrap them in really thin bacon and toss them in the smoker until they are still a little raw inside. Then I toss them on a very hot grill turning constantly for a minute or two to get the bacon real crisp.

IKnowWood

How about this twist.  (Course I have not tried it myself)  For the scallops (maybe the oyster also, don't know) flip them into a hot lightly oiled cast iron pan and kinda blaken them for a minute.  Maybe sprinkle a little spice on them just before.  I knwo I have had Blackened Scallops and they are good.

Bacon Wrapped Smoked Scallops Blackened.    Hmmmm...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

iceman

Now that just might work there IKnowWood. It's worth a try IMO. :P

tsquared

I don't blanch my oysters before smoking. I just sprinkle a little lime zest and coriander, salt and pepper and smoke for an hour at 220 or so. Add a good dark beer or stout to accompany those bad boys and ahhhhhh... West Coast heaven.
T2