• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need advice on 13lb Turkey+6legs for brining/smoking time/temp for Thanksgiving

Started by iahkaferoaster, November 20, 2006, 12:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahkaferoaster

I would appreciate anyone who can give me advice on temp/time on smoking a 13lb turkey + 6 legs (may add an additional pound in weight) that I have planned doing for Thanksgiving. I anticipate a starting outside ambient temperature of 40F at 6am (The time I figured I would start the preheat with a serving time of 4p) rising to 60F by noon. Do I need to start the smoking/preheating earlier?
Thanks, Iahkaferoaster.
I hunt, therefore I eat.

Habanero Smoker

You can take a look at the recipe site for brine recipes.
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=a515affd12ffe8d3a373c3f84f96ac85&f=13

Also do a search of this forum. There are plenty of turkey recipes and tips.

I try to smoke whole poultry at the highest temperature the BS will allow; which usually is 230°F in my BS. I bring the internal meat temperature to 160°F, measured at the thigh. It will usually rise to 165°F will it is resting.

As for time; for the load you are planning, depending on how much moisture is in the skin you may be looking at 5-7 hours of smoking/cooking times. I only apply 7-8 pucks of smoke, and lately have been using pecan or maple on poultry. If you are running short on time, you can always finish it off in the oven at a higher temperature.

With that much poultry with skin, you should keep your vent at least 1/2 open to allow moisture to escape. After 4 hours or so; sometimes you are able to close the vent a little. Depending on how much moisture is left in the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iahkaferoaster

Thanks a bunch. I want to be careful that I do not screw up Thanksgiving meal since "I" cook for our entire family so rarely. This bunch can be pretty tough with their critiquing ;).

Any particular placement of the meat on the racks/on which rack level of the turkey/legs?

Rotation of said meats?
I hunt, therefore I eat.

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure how large your turkey legs are, so depending on their size you may get anywheres from 4-6 on a tray. Anyway, I would place the turkey on the second self from the bottom, and the tray of legs above it. If you have more then one tray of legs, place the second tray underneath. One issue you may have is that the legs will be done before the turkey.

After 3 hours I would check the temperature of the turkey legs with an instant read thermometer. Change the water in the water bowl (carefully replace with hot water). Rotate the turkey from front to back, and insert a thermometer probe. I always wait until I rotate the bird before inserting the probe, it makes things much easier. The legs rotate from front to back, and top to bottom (if you have more then one tray). When taking the bird out of the smoker be very careful. A lot of hot juices collect in the cavity. Even knowing this, I have given my foot a basting.

If you are cooking for a crowd of hungry relatives that you may only see once or twice a year, you may want to give some thought to finishing off in the oven, if you have the room. With the smoker, you may not be able to depend on the time the turkey will be finished. If there is a lot of moisture in the skin, it will take a longer time for the BS to get up to the set temperature, thus increasing the cooking time. There is no reason not to finish the bird off in the oven after it has been in the smoker for 3.5-4 hours. As Iceman pointed out in another thread, use a high temperature to crisp up the skin. Then I would reduce the temperature to 325°F-350°F to finish it off. I take my turkey out of the smoker when it gets to 160°F, measured at the thigh. While resting it will continue to cook and reach a temperature of at least 165°F.

Good Luck. I usually smoke a turkey this time of year, but this year the relative are doing the turkey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 21, 2006, 03:51:20 AM
There is no reason not to finish the bird off in the oven after it has been in the smoker for 3.5-4 hours. As Iceman pointed out in another thread, use a high temperature to crisp up the skin. Then I would reduce the temperature to 325°F-350°F to finish it off. I take my turkey out of the smoker when it gets to 160°F, measured at the thigh. While resting it will continue to cook and reach a temperature of at least 165°F.
Right on the money Hab. ;) Have a good holiday.

Malc

Hmmm...since we are talking times and techniques...
I read somewhere that somebody does their turkey breast side down?  Would anybody reccomend this, not reccomend it.  It seems to me that you would want to keep the breast as far from the heating element as possible, so that it does not overcook while the dark meat is coming to temp.  Is there another reason somebody would do this that I am not seeing.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

iceman

Quote from: Malc on November 21, 2006, 10:00:36 AM
Hmmm...since we are talking times and techniques...
I read somewhere that somebody does their turkey breast side down?  Would anybody reccomend this, not reccomend it.  It seems to me that you would want to keep the breast as far from the heating element as possible, so that it does not overcook while the dark meat is coming to temp.  Is there another reason somebody would do this that I am not seeing.

Malc
The few times I've seen the breast side down mentioned was in the oven with a roasting pan and rack. They said to cook the bird breast side down for the first hour or something like that and then flip it. It's supposed to keep the breast from over cooking by protecting it from the oven heat and letting the juices run over the breast meat for the first hour. If you want my opinion (and you probably don't) ;D with a larger bird you could burn the bee geez out of yourself trying to turn that thing over. I'd rather foil the breast then remove the foil later to finish it off. Then again I'm not allowed to cook poultry in the oven anymore. Strickly Brine, Smoke, Crisp in the oven, and eat! :D ;)