• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To Vaccum or Not To Vaccum...That's The Rub

Started by ceeuawlsune, December 11, 2006, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceeuawlsune

I'm debating whether or not to vaccum my lamb before smoking.  If so, I'm under the impression that the marinating time is drastically reduced - like a 1 hour maximum. 

Can anybody give this vaccum-happy smoker a little advice?  I'm particularly interested in times - how long to marinade under vaccum?  How long is TOO long?  Is that possible?  Or do I just be careful with salt when under vaccum (or all flavors, for that matter, due to the increase in "concentration")?

BTW - I think I'm going to vac-pack the herb-garlic mud rubbed leg and leave the barbecue-style dry-rubbed leg in a regular ziplock...I like playing. 

ceeuawlsune

That first sentence isn't very clear - I'm wondering whether or not I should marinate under vacuum, not smoke in a vacuum bag. 

You guys must have thought I was crazier than you did before.

Wildcat

The vacuum process allows for less time, but does not always require a lesser time.  Much of this will depend on the food involved and the marinade ingrediants.  There are a couple of experts on this forum and I will defer to them for a more precise answer.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Quote from: Wildcat on December 11, 2006, 05:40:14 PM
The vacuum process allows for less time, but does not always require a lesser time.  Much of this will depend on the food involved and the marinade ingrediants.  There are a couple of experts on this forum and I will defer to them for a more precise answer.
Wildcat is on to something here. When I use the Revo the marinade time is cut from a few hours to 20 minutes thus saving time that way. It also makes it possible for last minute ideas for tossing something in a marinade for dinner.
The cooking times still remain pretty much the same for me so far. Perhaps just a bit shoter at times. To many variables for me to tell because sometimes the meat gets pulled out of the fridge and no chance to warm up. One of these days I'll do a controlled marinade / cook and see what happens. If I remember ::) ;D

pipsqueek

Are you guys talking about marinading in a foodsaver bag or a vacuum container? and is there any difference?

iceman

I do both. The food saver works as well as the vacmaster sealer. The Revo is a vacum canister/tumbler combo. It sucks the air out of the container then tumbles it (like a rock polisher) for a preset amount of time. Usually 20 minutes and your done. You can fit a whole chicken in the Revo which is handy. :)

ceeuawlsune