• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID PID PID oh my PID

Started by Scotty-G, December 16, 2006, 12:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Been reading the forum on PIDs for a few a bit now and decided to try.
First off, I am not an electrical type so I am not sure if what I did was correct or not.
I purchased the PID, SRR & T/C from Auber.
Wired them up and added a 20A SPST LED illuminated switch and a 20A fuse.  For wire, I used a section from the power cord.

Am trying to show wire diagram here but not sure if it can be seen

used the default settings except I changed autotune to 2

Without the PID (Before) the BS would take about 50 min to warm up to 180 deg.
During my initial autotune/calibration, it has been over 2 hrs and I am only at 134 deg (130, 134, 140) is registering on the PID striving for 180 deg.  Am I doing anything wrong?  How long does the initial calibration take?
Also on my wire schematic (hope it can be seen) does anyone see any mistakes that I have made.
I put the switch in thinking I could get the BS to work without the PID (switch off) and with the PID (switch on).
Also, the switch has 3 tangs on it, I soldered wires to the outer two and the LED does not turn on.
With the switch on or off, the PID is still on but not sure the effect on the BS.

Any help/guidance/help is appreciated.  Have to get the ribs in soon so I might have to just disconnect the PID and closely monitor the ribs.
Thanks
Scotty-G

Arcs_n_Sparks

Scotty-G,

Do you have the slider all the way to the right, applying maximum power? The PID will then control it down as necessary.

Your wiring diagram is not visible, so hard to help further.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Scotty-G

Do you have the slider all the way to the right, applying maximum power? The PID will then control it down as necessary.
Yup

Your wiring diagram is not visible, so hard to help further.
Don't know how to post.  Everything I am trying is not working.
Can you recommend a site to upload to so I can share.

Thanks

Arcs_n_Sparks

Scotty-G,

I use Image Cave to host my pictures. URL here: http://www.imagecave.com

Once in JPEG form, you should be able to link it into a post. There are a number of threads that describe how to do it.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

If you like you can E-mail your image to me and I will host it for you.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Scotty-G

Thanks Olds.
It's on its way.
Scotty-G

Smudge

I built the same PID as you per the directions, perhaps a couple months ago. I haven't used it yet. I'm not sure why I thought I needed one. Can't help you further, sorry.

Oldman

Quote from: Scotty-G on December 18, 2006, 09:15:12 AM
Thanks Olds.
It's on its way.
Scotty-G

I'm walking out the door... I will check that drive when I get back for your E-mail.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Ok here it is. However, it is large in size so I will only link it as it is to big for the posting board, but will show up good in a new window.

http://www.susanminor.org/Rayeimages/pid/PID-Box-Layout.jpg

Scotty-G

Thanks Olds for posting the image,
Due to bad weather, I haven't had a chance to try again but was wondering, now that the image is available, if anyone had any thoughts or insite into where I might have made a mistake.
Thanks
Scotty-G