• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

FIRST Smoke was a big hit with the family (Brisket) PHOTOS!!!

Started by Smokin Okie, January 07, 2007, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Okie

For my first smoke I decided to pull an all nighter.  I smoked two 6lb briskets raised on the family farm.  Friday night I mixed up my rub from Old's recipe.  I rubbed the two thawed briskets down with yellow mustard and coated with the rub. Then I wrapped them and tossed them in the fridge.  On saturday at around 6 p.m. I took out of fridge and let sit for 2 hours.  I preheated the BS to around 210 at 7:30 and put on a little more rub on.  I tossed the beef into the BS at around 8:00 p.m.  I used 12 mesq. pucks and 4 apple mixed in.  After the beef went in it took the BS almost 45 min to come back up to 200.  I was able to maintain a pretty constant 200 untill around 1 a.m.  That is when I started having a little trouble.  I changed water bowls and put some smoked bacon on the top rack and sprayed the briskets down with apple juice.  Internal temp after 5 hours of smoke was around 140.  I shut the door and went to bed.  I woke up at around 5 a.m. to check my temps.  My BS had fallen to around 170, Internal temp was 145  The slider was 3/4 to the right. I bumped it just a bit more to the right but not full blast. At 6a.m. BS was 210 and internal was at 155 .  I had trouble finding a balance in temp. It seemed like the slightest nudge would cause a large swing in temp.  By 9 a.m. I had the BS at a smooth 205 but internal was still at 155.  I started to panic a little since I was expecting the "plateau" at 165 or so.  The temp probe was in the top brisket so I wasn't as worried about the bottom one.  The weather had became windy and cold overnight (lower 20s wind 15 to 25)  I am thinking and hoping that this is what caused my temp to fall to 170 overnight.  Anyway at 10 a.m. I preheated my oven to 210 and placed the briskets in the oven after a good spay of apple juice.  At 11 a.m. the bottom brisket was at 185 so I f.t.c it.  The top brisket did not reach 185 until 12:15 p.m.  I f.t.c. it and headto my brothers house for lunch.  At 1 p.m. I sliced into the first brisket (the one that had been in ftc for 2 hours)  The meat was so tender and juicy it fell apart as I sliced it :P The family was in awww of my masterpiece.  This was the best brisket any of us had ever tasted. (raising beef for a living, we have had a lot of brisket)  I sliced up the second brisket at around 1:30 (only an hour of ftc)  It was not quite as tender but still excellent.  I know I have become long winded but I owe it all to my BS and all of the great advice I received on this forum.  I am already taking future orders for family members for parties, holidays, etc..  Any extra advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks again

SMOKIN OKIE

P.S.

FTC FTC FTC FTC  that is the key!!!

NePaSmoKer

Sounds like your doing things right. Bump the switch to the right more. It gets cold at nights here in Ne Pa too. I am smoking a moose roast right now got the BS at 200 with apple/hickory pucks and my new PID is holding steady. I have my BS in the metal shed right now.

Did 2 pork loins this morning.......MMMMMM YUM-OO. Think I am going to take the bear claws to em and put some JohnBoy&Billys grillin sauce on it and slap it on some rolls. 

(Can ya tell i am a PID nut now)....................OH YEAH

NEPASMKR

Smokin Okie

Habanero Smoker

Glad to here of your success. You will find that your family's request list will get longer after each occasion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Congrats on the brisket.  I am getting ready to do my first brisket myself.  I purchased an 8 pounder yesterday.  Now it is a matter of picking a day that the weather will cooperate with.  I live in northwestern Florida and we get a lot of rain.  Do not have a shelter for the BS yet.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

thanks for the photos... looking wondeful...

im hungered...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

iceman

Dang good looking brisket!!! Ya done good S.O. ;) :)

Infalable

I took a look at those pics. Yum. Hey Okie, after reading your post I may have missed one thing. How long did actually use smoke during the cooking process? I know it may take 10-20 hours to cook, but of that period how long were you smoking? Thanks.

Smokin Okie

I used 5 hours of smoke Mostly mesq, with a little apple mixed in.  I just bought some pecan to try with a butt. :P

owrstrich

the best beast in all the world is the beast that isnt grown and processed for sale in a grocery store...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Smokin Okie

I totally agree. Nothing beats a home grown, corn feed, steer!!! ;)  Has anyone ever smoked a roast.  Sounds crazy but as good as the brisket turned out I am willing to smoke darn near anything

Oldman

SMOKIN OKIE,

First congrats on your brisket.

Next HTML is not allow on this board that is why your target images don't auto show up. Check out the help file here and using tags is as easy or easier then HTML.  BTW  Most board no longer allow HTML as it is an open door to a hacker.

If you get a little lost using tags just post directly to me, but given your HTML codes as I see them I don't think you will need my help at all.

Again congrats....
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Smokin Okie

MallardWacker

QuoteFTC FTC FTC FTC  that is the key!!!

As Goldie Hahn would say  "You bet your sweet bippy" (if you have to ask, you are too young)

WELCOME!...great job!

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

coyote

Welcome Okie , Picture looks great..........MMmmmm.....I can almost imagine smellavision. :D

Coyote