• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tender Quick Question...somebody help jenbayjazz

Started by MallardWacker, February 15, 2007, 06:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: PetersCreek on February 22, 2007, 02:39:09 PM
A "little off" is one thing but is twice as much (1 oz/lb vs ½ oz/lb) okay even for a dry cure?  I'd read the comments in other threads about using only the amount called for so I've made an effort to be pretty precise about it.  Besides it was easier just to weigh it out into a sili cup than to muck about with fractional dry measures.

As for brines, I haven't tried 'em with TQ...just salt and flavors.  IIRC, the package calls for a pretty large meausure of TQ to make brine.  Seems to me that'd be more forgiving of small errors.  True?  No?

I was referring to your comment of weight vs measuring. What I meant, you don't have to pull out your scale and go through the process of weighting, when you can simply use measuring spoons.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PetersCreek

Okay, here's where I get to brag about my knife skills...or just plain ol' blind luck.   ;D 

I eyeballed cuttin' that pork loin into three equal(ish) pieces and they came out to exactly 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 pounds.  Not bad, I thought.  And it was dead simple to weigh out 1.1, 1.15, and 1.2 ounces of TQ into three sili cups for the mise en place, seein' that I had the scale out anyway.  From what I'm readin' in this thread, I probably could've called it good with 2¼ Tbs for each piece but given that I wasn't sure about that...and that I'm kinda persnickety, anyway...I didn't find it signifcantly more difficult to measure it out.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Bad Flynch

MW--I have used TQ for years and have adopted a policy about using it. The recipes in the Morton's book haven't changed in the 30 years that I have had their book and are more suited, sometimes, to meat that will be kept for some length of time, e.g., 6 to 8 months for some recipes. That means that some are a bit salty and require a method to cook out the salt, like changing the cooking water on a corned beef.

If you are to simply cure a piece of meat and want the cured flavor, but are not interested in long-term storage, then you can use one Tablespoon full per pound of meat as a dry rub. I use that formula for pork chops, corned beef, and dried beef for S.O.S. In the case of a thick piece of meat, like a brisket, I will allow it to cure for a week per inch of thickness and maybe a tad longer. Longer does no harm.

As a dry cure rub, TQ works well with a vacuum sealer. Simply buy some plastic gloves and put your meat in the vacuum bag. Rub the stuff in, wipe the salts from the sealing area, and vacuum seal. Refrigerate, etc. Spice mixes can be added dry this way, too.

BTW, TQ is already about 20% sugar. The old numbers that I have are 79% salt, 20% sugar, and 0.5% each of nitrate and nitrite. However, those numbers are anecdotal.
B.F.

Webbee

Hi again! 
    I smoked my pork shoulder for about  8 hours and it is very good.  This was the first time I used tender quick and I must say I was a little negative about how it was going to turn out.  It seemed like to much cure after I rubbed it on the meat.  However it turned out very good. (let cure for 120 hours and soaked in water for 1 hour) I do notice a salty taste compared to the last shoulder I made.  That time I used a pickle brine and pumped it as well.  Not sure which method I prefer. 
     My new question is, has anyone used "Readycure" before?  I picked it up at my grocery store.  I see you can order it from Canada Compound Corp.  I was reading in this form and saw that people were buying tender quick from them as well.  (is this true)  It says on the bag for dry curing to use 2lbs for 100lbs or 2 kg for 100 kg of meat.
I think I will give this product a try and see if it works as good as the tender quick.  The tender quick was crazy expensive because I got it from the U.S. The readycure was 2.99 for a 2.2 lbs bag.   A little smoke in the face is good!!!!!   Webbee

whitetailfan

Webbee,
Who makes Readycure.  I have not tried it.  Morton is a little pricey, maybe I'll give this a whirl.

Do you have a web address for the product?  I'd like to read up on it.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Webbee

Whitetailfan,
I bought this produce from my butcher at a Valuemart store but I see on the package that Canada Compound Corp.  supplies it.  http://www.canadacompound.com/ I will list the ingredience of the cure.

Salt, Sodium Nitrate,Sodium Bicarbonate
1 kilogram bag

For dry cure, use 2 lbs to 100 lbs of meat or 2 kg to 100 kg of meat.

Mr Walleye

WTF

I don't know if you are ever in Regina or not but there is a great store called JB's Sausage Maker Supplies. They originally where just a wholesale store but now have a public store front. They grind spices right there. They have some excellent spices that I've not been able to get anywhere else including cures. There prices aren't bad either. Their web site sucks but they do have an address and phone number etc.

http://jbsausagesupplies.com/index.php?pid=1

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Webbee

I'm back at it again.  Yesterday I bought a 10lbs loin and it is a beauty.  I trimmed of the excess fat and cut it in half.  I rubbed Tender Quick on one and Readycure on the other.  Now it is resting in the fridge.  I will let everyone know what I think of the two different products.  I did notice one thing right away.  The Readycure seemed more coarse as I rubbed it into the loin.  However if it works the same then I will use it because I can purchase it right at my grocery store.  The butcher there is very helpful and seems very interested in what I am doing.    Later Webbee

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Webbee on April 14, 2007, 08:33:00 AM
I'm back at it again.  Yesterday I bought a 10lbs loin and it is a beauty.  I trimmed of the excess fat and cut it in half.  I rubbed Tender Quick on one and Readycure on the other.  Now it is resting in the fridge.  I will let everyone know what I think of the two different products.  I did notice one thing right away.  The Readycure seemed more coarse as I rubbed it into the loin.  However if it works the same then I will use it because I can purchase it right at my grocery store.  The butcher there is very helpful and seems very interested in what I am doing.    Later Webbee

If ya can could you post some pics. I shure would like to see the loins.

nepas