• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pastrami

Started by LilSmoker, February 12, 2007, 03:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote

That would interest me as well Dewy.
                                            Love that high speed beef,
                                                                           Coyote

Habanero Smoker

No I haven't tried it with deer meat. In my book there are only two rules in making pastrami, 1) it has to be either cured meat or fish; and 2) it needs to be highly seasoned.

Right now I have two 2.5 pound turkey breasts, and four turkey thighs curing, that will be turkey pastrami. I was going to dry cure one breast, but got distracted and ended up brine curing all of it. One turkey breast, and two thighs I added some Insta cure #1 to the brine to give the finish produce a different taste. Tomorrow afternoon will be the end of the 48 hour brining time, and if the weather holds up; I'll be smoking them on Saturday.

It's getting harder to find turkey breast that hasn't already been injected with a brine. I finally found some that were injected with 6% plain water. The only reason I can see for injecting with plain water is purely to increase the weight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dewy

Upon inspecting the freezer it looks like Ive got no hind quarters left :'( , looks like a project for this fall.