• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

High temp/faulty heater?

Started by Smokey Joe, May 20, 2007, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey Joe

All

The last few times I've used my BS, I have not been able to achieve a very high temp.  With the slider at the max position, and the cabinet empty, the inside temp wont go over 225.  When I load it up after pre-heating it, the temp stays at about 150 for hours even though the thermostat is still on max.  I have taken to smoking in the BS, and finishing cooking in the oven.  The BS is inside my garage, out of the wind, with a metal dryer vent as a chimney going out a window.

Is something wrong?  I accidentally got water from the bowl splashed on the heating element once.  Is it damaged?  I also had to replace the thermostat once, because the slider switch broke.  Bradley sent me a whole new thermostat/slider.  I was very impressed with their customer service.  But, do I have a bad one?

The inability of the BS to get up to temp when loaded concerns me.  I dont want to get me or my family sick by cooking at too low a temp, encouraging bacteria growth.  Or undercooking food. 

How high should the BS get inside when empty?  And loaded?  How long should it take to get back to 200 or 225?

owrstrich

sj...

does the element glow...

if so... the heating element mount screws at the white isolators can cause a low heat situation...

you can eliminate that by taking off the heat element cover and removing the heat element and cleaning up those screws and connections...

worth a try...

if not... you may be heating with puck burner only...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Smokey Joe

The element does glow, yes. Maybe I'll take a closer look at those screws you mention.

West Coast Kansan

SJ,  Dont know how to respond to your question without some more information.  What you are describing can be inside the normal operation based on meat load, moisture, vent setting etc.  ??? Being inside the garage helps eliminate a lot of issues.  ;)

A couple of things to try are adding a dead load such as a brick on the bottom of the smoker when you preheat.  It will give off heat and help with recovery time when you add the meat or open the door.

Use hot water in the water bowl.  It will help with temp coming up during preheat.

The last one I am not familiar (cuz I have a digital) but it has been posted that for maximum heat on an OBS when you move the slider to the right for full heat - move it back to the left just a little bit.  This will make sure the slider is not placed immediately over the very end of the resistor and therefore a point equal to a lower temperature setting.  The very tip on some units have a normal low spot as a result of how they are designed.   :-\

Sorry not more help  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

As WCK states, more information would be helpful. Size of load, what you were attempting to cook, what you are using to monitor the temperature, ect.

As long as your cabinet temperature comes up to and over 140°F (within a one to two hour period) you shouldn't have to worry about bacterial growth when your smoker stays at a very low temperature for a long time. With the following exception, if you are smoking/cooking a ground meat, such as meat loaf, or breakfast sausage, or fatties.

When did you add the chimney? If your problems started after you added your chimney, you may be producing a back draft, which will definitely keep your temperatures down. Try the smoker with the chimney unhooked, and see if there is any improvement.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)