Chicken Breasts

Started by mapleleafsgurl, March 06, 2007, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapleleafsgurl

Does anyone have any ideas for smoking chicken breasts?

Tiny Tim

Yes...these are really good.  Easy to do if you can beat them thin enough.  I've only had limited success as I cannot find my meat mallet.  This past weekend, I did some without smoking them (my smokehouse is buried under snow), by using a pair of cutting boards to thin 'em out (beat on the top board with the breast between the 2).

MallardWacker

IMHO...I always use split, bone-in, skin-on breasts.  WAY To MUCH better tasting...It's kind of like making a chicken and dumplings with skinless chicken breasts...no flavor and truly there should be a law against such things.  There is one other thing that these will lend itself better for and that is: INJECTION...with the skin and bone in it will keep the injection in place.

To me the simple thing to do is going to WallyWorld and pick up some injection marinade that sounds good to you...I like butter and garlic...then inject said breasts.

Put them in the Bradley at 225-250 for a 2.5 hrs with your favorite wood of choice...I like hickory.  Make sure you put your vent at around 1/3rd.  Chicken needs to vent more do to the fact of the moisture chicken has in it.  I really think you can run your slider all the way to the right with no problem

Pull them and finish them on the grill...you get great flavor and a nice skin.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Wildcat

I like MW's recommendation except I would slop on some of Iceman's Sauce just before the grill. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

I just had smoked , fried chicken last night and now I'm hungry for more after reading all these posts! Dang you guys can be tough on a guys diet! :D

mapleleafsgurl

Thanks for the ideas.

Unfortunately I am on a diet and they are boneless and skinless breasts.  I thought they'd be a nice thing to have precooked in th fridge for salads etc.  I am marinating them in apple juice, Splenda, cayenne pepper, ginger and garlic.

Should I cold smoke, and cook afterwards, or crank up the temperature and just finish them on the BBQ?

Thanks everyone, I am fairly new at smoking anything besides fish.

MallardWacker

Quote from: mapleleafsgurl on March 06, 2007, 04:31:22 PM
....or crank up the temperature and just finish them on the BBQ?....

I do all my chicken that way...Tony Chesary's (sp?) has a non-fat injection...I think their Butter/Garlic is fat free even...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

One other suggestion. If you are going to use it for salads etc. you may want to pound down the thicker part of the breast a little so that it is more uniformly the same in thickness, but try to keep the overall thickness as thick as possible.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kurtsara

"Heat Bradley at least 30 minutes. Set heat slider 3/4 way to the right. Suggested 4 pucks of your favorite wood. (I used maple this time.) About 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours it will be smoked/ cooked."

I have an older smoker, what temp is the slider 3/4 way to the right?

Habanero Smoker

kurtsara;
Welcome to the forum.

I've never measured the cabinet temperature while empty, so I don't know what approximate temperature 3/4 would represent. When you have food in the BS; there are too many variable to answer that question. What temperature your cabinet reaches when you place the slider 3/4 to the right will depend on how large a load you are smoking, what you are smoking, ambient temperature, wind etc. Also as the meat surface temperature increases your cabinet temperature will increase, so as some point you may have to slide it to the left to reduce the heat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

boxertrio

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

IKnowWood

Difference I am sure is diet says easy on Bacon.   Remove the bacon and the rest should be prett much the same?

I have done small roasters for about three hours and they were good.  I also did some bone-in breasts that were good.  bout 3 hrs.  Each time going for IT.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

coyote

All I can say Box is.....Oh , Hell yes those look good ! ;D Great pics

Coyote