• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

apple juice

Started by Infalable, May 20, 2007, 07:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infalable

I like the taste os apple flavor with pork. If I put apple juice/cider in the bottle, staright up or mixed with water, would that add any flavor???

Consiglieri

Apple juice is a common, and popular, mop for pork.  I use it regularly for ribs, butt... Heck I drink it too, on occassion.
Consiglieri

Infalable

Ok I just re read this. I meant in the water pan at the bottom - not the bottle.

West Coast Kansan

I dont think it would help in the water bowl.  There has to be a way to make the transfer to the meat and beyond moisture I dont see the flavor traveling.  ;)

There are fluids that fume and transfer flavor. Not apple juice IMO. Interesting thought though.  I didnt have any apple juice in the house tonight and I just started FTC on two butts.  I scooped 3-4 heaping spoonfulls of apple sauce onto the butts when I wrapped them and just a touch of plain water.  Something new for me.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I have used apple juice among many other flavoring in the water bowl when I am/was using my Mecco or Brinkman water smokers. Apple juice will infuse into the meat when using those smokers. I don't think you will get the same results in the Bradley.

It couldn't hurt to give it a try. If I would try it in the Bradley, I would use the apple juice at full strength. The worse thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, and you may to scrub the bowl a little harder to clean out the burnt sugars.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

I was just watching the Food Network, and they had a show about The Memphis in May.  One of the top guys used apple juice in a pan under the meat, but I got the impression it was at a near boil.  Not sure if you get that hot in the BS.  I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but I think you would be better served using it as a mop/spray.  It may add an element to the aroma coming from the smoker, which could help the aesthetic aspect of the experience.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

tsquared

I just used apple juice as a base for a marinade and sauce in a smoke today. The base recipe is "AppleCity Baby Backs" in Smoke and Spice. Marinade as follows:
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1/2 medium onion minced
1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T veggie oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp dried thyme

I doubled this recipe as I was doing a smoker full of ribs for a Victoria Day bbq. I chose this as my partner has "chemo" tongue and she gets tired of spicy (chili peppers) rubs and sauces. I marinated the ribs overnight and then used this rub before smoking at 190-200 for 6 hours.
RUB:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 tsp of onion poweder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp dried mustard
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp dried thyme

Last part of my smoke was an apple based sauce to drizzle on the ribs at the table. Recipe was:
1/2 cup butter
1 med onion, minced
2 1/2 cups apple juice
2 T molasses
2 T Worcestershire
2 T cider vinegar
2 T tomato paste
1/2 chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

I left out the chili powder to make it a totally non spicy recipe but I added 1 1/2 minced apples
Melt the butter, saute onion (and apples) until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, reducing volume by a 1/4. Reheat the sauce at meal time and serve warm over the ribs. I was impressed by the recipe and overall effect of the apple juice marinade and sauce. To complete the "appleness" of it, I used just over 3 hours of apple pucks in the Bradley. This is definately a "do again recipe" and makes a nice change from the usual spicy rub and sauce.

MWS

Sounds great Tom, I also did pork side ribs today as part of a Victoria Day BBQ. Hope you had a great long weekend. Cheers.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Infalable

Hey Malc - Memphis in May was where I got the idea. Seemed like a possibility. I definitely will try that recipe. Thanks all for the responses. Will let you'all know what I try.

Habanero Smoker

T2; Looks like a good recipe. I going to try this, but I do need some heat, so I may modify the recipe by adding some cayenne pepper.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokin stu

I had a neighbour that never drank apple juice straight up, it always had his moonshine mixed in.  Moonshine and apple juice.....  good neighbour.....  drooled constantly ......  when he was sober, he didn't recognize me ......  he recognized me most of the time.....  A good guy all around.

I have tried apple juice in the bowl of the BS and have tried beer as well.  I gave up on that as I couldn't taste a difference and wanted the beer for other uses.

Gizmo

Good thing you didn't grab the neighbors apple juice for spritzing on a flame smoker.  Give a whole new meaning to smoking and up in smoke. ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Might be good for char-grilling!  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

gotbbq

better as a mop than in the pan