• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Water Pan

Started by RedDogSmokin, July 11, 2007, 07:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedDogSmokin

I am new to smokin, some of my friends have either charcoal, or gas smokers. They tell me that they put water, apple juice or other liquids in the pan. I noticed that on the OBS there is no mention about the pan. Are you suppose to add liquid to the pan?
Thanks for any input.

Lefty_Smoker

The purpose of the water bowl/pan in the Bradley is simply to catch and extinguish the burnt pucks as they are advanced every 20 minutes.

Other smokers use water bowls/pans as a means of adding flavor/moisture to the meat, and are usually placed above the heat source.  The water bowl in the Bradley is located below the heat source. 

RedDogSmokin

Thanks that makes a lot of sense.

got smoke?

Will placing another pan with liquid (water or beer with spices, etc.) towards the back of the OBS on a rack just above the heat element work in the same way as the water smoker does?  Has anyone had any sucess with trying this?  Curious. 

Habanero Smoker

The main purpose for the water in a water smoker is to help control the heat, by keeping it at a low temperature. It takes a lot of energy to convert water into vapor and this energy comes from the heat produced in the smoker. So adding more water to the BS will most likely lower your cabinet temperature and make it difficult to obtain your ideal cooking temperature. I'm not sure if you will receive any benefits from adding herbs and/or other flavors in the water boil. Some have mentioned that they were going to try it, but I don't recall any reports on the outcome.

Also, I'm not one that subscribes to the theory moist heat makes moist meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I agree with Habs 110 percent.  Most of us are trying to reduce the moisture within the BS for better heat control.  An occassional apple juice spray and FTC should be all the moisture you will need.  The juicy meat comes from low and slow cooking to get the fat to render.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

got smoke?

Thanks Habs and Wildcat.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Forgot about the high temps produced by the coals in the water smoker.  You guys are great and I'm a happy guy.  LOW, SLOW, and FTC.