• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Shoulder

Started by Payson, July 06, 2007, 08:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payson

I'd like to do a pork shoulder this weekend for pulled pork. I plan on removing the skin for better smoke flavor and using a tried and true rub. I'll smoke at about 210 until the internal temp hits 190. Do I or should I foil it sometime prior to this temp to keep it juicy? Maybe foil at 140 or so with some apple juice? Any helpful hints appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris

Consiglieri

I wouldn't foil it if it will be cooking in the Bradley the entire time.  I've not had any dryness problems with these larger cuts, but I spray with apple juice or mop on some mop sauce after the first four hours of cooking and every hour or so after that. 
When doing overnight cooking (like last weekend), I'll start cooking at about 5pm, and start mopping or spraying at 9 or 10.  Before going to bed, I give the meat a really good spray and then don't do anything until morning, unless the temp alarm goes off.  So long as you monitor box temp and internal temp, you should be okay without foiling. 

Good luck with your project. 
Consiglieri

CLAREGO

saran wrap and foil mix well. saran wrap/foil the meat after 6 hours to give it some bark. turn the bs too the highest it will go and it will cook in record time i like shoulders better the butts

HCT

Hi Payson,
   I start mopping about 1/2 hour after smoke is done smoking, then every hour after for about 2-3 hours to get a bark. Then I'll saran and foil it with anouther mop before sealing it up. Yup, it'll come to temp faster. FTC it for a couple also.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"