• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

RIBS & SMOKIN HOT BLUES IN GEORGIA

Started by Blues Man, July 11, 2007, 11:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blues Man

Hi guys (&girls?)! I did a little research on the web and decided on a BDS thanks to this forum. I ordered it last week. It arrived last night! I'm 43 and I was like a kid at Christmas! My wife is still laughing at my excitement! My 10 year old son and I set it up on the deck immediately and seasoned it for two hours. We got in bed around 1AM eagerly awaiting the opportunity to load it with ribs this morning. We were up at 8AM it's RAINING! We decided to smoke anyway. After peeling the membrane from the ribs and applying the dry rub,(my special blend, of course) while the BDS was heating up. My wife was off to work while my son and I promised to have a great meal awaiting her return. The ribs were in the smoker by 9AM, RED HOT SMOKIN BLUES was on the outdoor speakers by 9:01AM, I held off on the beer til 12:00PM. My son and I found ourselves sitting in front of the smoker just watching it do it's magic about 1PM. With beer in hand thinking of how relaxing this is, I looked over at my 10 year old and said, "What do you think?" He just looked at me and with a big smile and said, "This is the best RAINY day of my life!" WOW! Nothing like bonding with your kid while smoking ribs on a rainy day!!! In about 5 hours I will let you know how our maiden voyage with the smoker turned out. By the way, anyone discovered the perfect outdoor table for our magic smoking machine?

May BLUES fill your soul with Southern Comfort and God Bless America!

Consiglieri

sounds like you're having a blast.  Wish I could be there. 

Just FYI.  In the Bradley, you will not want to apply smoke during the entirety of your cooking (probably want to limit smoke to 4 hours or less).

Have a good time and a good meal!
Consiglieri

brderj

I feel like the kid with to many questions.  Why not smoke throughout the entire meal? 

Your day sounds amazing.  I like to bbq with my daughter, she always tells me how yummy it is just by smell alone.  She is 5 and melts my heart.  Nice day indeed.

Jay

Consiglieri

I can give you the "why" but not the chemistry underlying the "why."

With the BS, the smoke is very intense and anything longer will taste, as one poster put it, like a monkey's butt dipped in an ashtray.  Actually, now that I think about it, that comment may have pertained to smoking meat straight out of the refrigerator (without bringing the meat up to room temp).  Regardless, the description also applies to the "oversmoked" meats.  If you've ever oversmoked a chicken, you know what I'm talking about. :P

Most people here will smoke for only a portion of the cooking time, and for most projects the upper limit is 4 hours.  For ribs, I generally do 2 hours twenty minutes in the Bradley.  I apply smoke for 4 hours with butts.  I did 2.5 hours of smoke on pork loin, pork tenderloin, and prime rib with good results.  Others will do 4 hours on the P-rib.
Consiglieri

brderj

I don't need the chemistry underlying the why...I'm a simple creature and multiple syllables confuse me.   ;D

I have never over smoked anything (knock on wood) but I have had over smoked meat and its never good.  I did not know that the briquettes were that strong.  I appreciate the answer.

Sorry to hijack your thread blues man  ;)

manxman

welcome to the forum Blues Man, sound like you have got off to a great start with your BS.  :D ;)
Manxman

Wildcat

Smoke does not penetrate much below the surface.  With the clean smoke that the BS produces, anything over 4 hours is a waste of pucks IMHO.

Welcome to the forum Blues Man.  What part of GA?  I spent my High School years in Elberton (Northeast of Athens).  My dad is still there.  I currently live near Pensacola, Florida.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

wicz

Welcome to the Family Blues Man.  This forum is one of the reason why I bought my Bradley.  How did the ribs turn out?  Pictures are alwasy nice too.

West Coast Kansan

What a great start to smoking...no matter how the ribs turn out... ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Blues Man

The ribs turned out great for my first smoke ever on my BDS. I set the temp @ 230. The smoker consistently held 210-225 degrees. I smoked for the first 3 hours of the cook time with Hickory. After 4 hours total cook time, I sprayed with apple juice and rotated the racks. Top went to the bottom, bottom to the top. Every 45 minutes there after, I sprayed with apple juice. After 8 hours total cook time, I applied the FTC method for 1 1/2 hours that I learned about on here. This BDS is the way to go. After dinner clean up was a snap. First I washed all the racks, bowl etc. in the sink with not much luck. I put everything in the dish washer and "WALAAH!" everything looks new again!

The only thing I would do different is work the rotation of racks so that they all spend equal time at the bottom. It seemed that the rack that spent the last 4 hours on bottom fell off the bone, the others were not quite that done.

To answer a question or two, I live in Carrollton Ga. and I will go back and read in this forum more to figure out how to post photos, but I have seen some pretty good looking photos on here, don't know if I can compete.

May BLUES fill your soul with Southern Comfort and God Bless AMERICA!

SKSmoker

When I do ribs, I rotate my racks top to bottom, front to back every hour. I have found this the best way for me to get an even cook without putting in a fan in my unit. Good job!!
Lead by example

wicz

If you use photobucket, posting pictures is quite simple. After you open an account, you can create albums and upload your pictures to photobucket. Once you have your pictures uploaded, check the picture or pictures you want to post on the forum. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "Generated HTML, Ebay and IMG Code" button. Then click on the code you want to use, either "IMG images for message boards" or "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended". Just clicking on the code automatically copies the code into your clipboard. Open another browser window and log on to the forum, and paste the code inside your message.

begolf25

Quote from: Blues Man on July 12, 2007, 06:03:01 AM
I will go back and read in this forum more to figure out how to post photos, but I have seen some pretty good looking photos on here, don't know if I can compete.

May BLUES fill your soul with Southern Comfort and God Bless AMERICA!

You can use a hosting site like wicz explained buts Old's also set up image hosting on his server for forum members.  Check out this thread...http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5586.0  He can get you set up also.