• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First smoking adventure!!

Started by KyNola, July 15, 2007, 07:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

With the initial burn in completed, had to take the DBS on a test drive.  Not wanting to destroy ribs on the first outing, I opted for pork steaks.  Used a dry rub concoction I make by combining 3 commercial rubs.  Smoked for 90 minutes with hickory at 210 and then cooked another hour.  Turned out pretty well.  I did have one thing happen I need your help on.  About 2 hours in, condensation leaked out under the door.  It had collected at the top of the door and run down.  Any thoughts?  The vent was pretty well open through out almost the entire cooking time.  The pork steaks had been frozen and thawed just prior to smoking.  Could they have been holding excess moisture?

KyNola

Wildcat

Could have.  After thaw, let them sit for an hour or so to warm up somewhat.  Also, you may want to consider elevating the front of the smoker a tad so that liquid does not get into your electronics.  Do not have the digital myself but on the BOS the heat control is at the bottom.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

Was your vent on the top oven?? Was your v pan installed so as to channel drippings to the bowl?
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

gdoily

First thing to check out is the proper installation of the drip pan with the v down.  The vendor I bought mine from had the display setup with the v point up, which is the way I smoked my first two batches - big mess indeed.  Then the group here helped me understand my mental retardation - amazing how clean things are when you have it setup properly!

KyNola

Thanks for the responses.  Vent pan was correctly installed and the vent was open.  Have ribs going as we speak.  Will let you know if we still have the condensation problem.  The Maverick 73 is amazing, 15-25 degree difference in temp readings between the DBS and the Maverick.  Maverick reads consistently less than the DBS.

Was at Sam's club today, saw a friend of mine looking at the Masterbuilt Digital Smoker.  After I told him about the Bradley, he was on the way to Gander Mountain!  Chalk up another one for Bradley!!

I love this thing!  ;D
KyNola

Mr Walleye

WildCat

There are no electronics under the tower on the DBS so there is no risk of any damage.

KyNola

Seems odd you would have that much moisture with the vent open and just a couple of steaks in there. I usually run the vent between 1/3 and 2/3 of the way open for most things. I never have a moisture problem with it. I would try the ribs and see how you make out. Keep us posted.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

You may have had that "enhanced" pork; which is pork that is injected with a solution to keep in moist. Even still, you shouldn't have that type of problem with moisture if the "V" shelf was properly installed, and the vent open enough, with that size of a load. Moisture running out of the door can also be caused if you had any meat touching the door, or sides of the cabinet during cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Thanks guys.  I don't know what the issue is but seems better today with the ribs.  A bit of condensation but not near like yesterday.  Perhaps I should note, I live in Western KY where it is common for the humidity to run 80-90%.

Still, I love this thing! ;D

KyNola