• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Even more PID questions

Started by Ted, September 18, 2007, 07:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I have ordered the parts I need for building a PID for my OBS.  I have the PID and the SSR and I am waiting for the TC from Omega.  I have a switch and a male/female outlet from a computer power supply that I will use.  A quick trip to Radio Shack is all I'll need to complete the gathering.  My two questions:

1.  Do I need to use a terminal block or could I just use wire nuts and electrical tape to make the wiring connections?
2.  If I mount the TC inside the cabinet, will the smoke residue affect the TC's functionality? 

Thanks!

Tiny Tim

Wire nuts will probably work fine, I like the terminal block(s) because they make sure the connections don't come loose if a wire is pulled a little bit (I know if you pull hard enough, you can get the wire out of the TB too, just think it's a little harder).

Second question I am curious about too, although mine is just run through the door.

Arcs_n_Sparks

1. wire nuts are fine, as long as they are sized for the wire.
2. TCs are one step above dirt on the electrical component front; nothing is going to bother it.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Ted

Thanks Tiny and Arcs!

I was reading the manual that came with my PID last night.  I see the need to be sure that the wire does not introduce too much resistence and also the need to route the wire so that the TC wire and the AC wire do not interfere with each other.  If I go with properly sized wire nuts, as you mentioned, I should avoid those issues.

The AC outlets for the back of my project box will be soldiered to the wires inside. 

My main worry about the TC probe being in the cabinet and hard to clean was the residue build-up.  As long as a thick coating of black goodness does not change its sensitivity, I'll be happy.

Thanks again!

smokin stu

The only thing I did difefrent from the posted wiring diagram was to ground the box I put the PID in because the box was metal.

PID is good.

Ted

I can't wait to get this thing running.

Sad news.  My local Radio Shack was converted into a glorified cell phone store.  They still have some electronics components and project parts, but most of the store is consumer electronics and cell phones.  No project boxes.

I guess I have to order one.  I started looking last night.  There are so many different kinds!  I just have to pick one and go with it.

That is interesting Stu, if I go with a metal box, I'll definitely ground it.  I had not thought of that!

Tiny Tim

Don't limit yourself to the project box...another poster here took a 45* plumbing elbow and a couple of caps (I think 4" diameter) to make a housing for his PID.  A small hand Tool Box was used by another.

I was looking for something interesting for mine, but I didn't want to sacrifice anything I already had, and couldn't come up with an alternative to buy (that hadn't been done yet).

Ted

An update.  Thanks for the suggestions Tim.  It seems Radio Shack is not as bad as I thought.  I guess they keep most of their inventory in the back.  You just need to ask for it.  In true customer diservice fashion you find everywhere now, I had to know the stock number.  They would not even look it up for me.  Oh well.  I got my project box.

I ran into another snag.  A couple weekends ago, I cleaned out the garage and build a work bench/area.  Apparently I threw out my cool power inlet/outlet component.  I was really bummed because this would have made for a really clean installation with disconnecting power cables.  Well, after a week of searching the internet, I found it!

I got one of these (on the left) at Mouser.  I also got another cable like the one that connects the smoker generator to the cabinet.  Both for $6 (plus shipping).

My TC and mini jack should arrive today.  I'll get the last two components early next week. 

I have to get this done, company is coming in three weeks. :) 

iceman

Ted;
Can you get me a web site or address for the place where you got the outlets. I'd like to pick up a few of those.
Thanks

Ted

Sure thing Iceman!  They are "Schurter 4300.0301" and you can get them at http://www.mouser.com  You can also get the cable if you search for a C13 to C14 cable. 

iceman

Quote from: Ted on September 25, 2007, 05:25:20 PM
Sure thing Iceman!  They are "Schurter 4300.0301" and you can get them at http://www.mouser.com  You can also get the cable if you search for a C13 to C14 cable. 
:) Thank you so much Ted.