• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thermocouple wiring

Started by njoyn, August 24, 2007, 04:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njoyn

I am installing a PID in my Bradley, using combined wiring diagrams so graciously provided here.  My thermocouple has arrived from Omega with a plug already installed on the probe wiring.  I have installed a plug, from Omega, mounted in the case, that the thermocouple plugs into.  Does the wiring from this plug to the PID need to be the exact same kind of wire as is in the probe wiring?  If not, what wiring would be recommended.  If yes, have you had any luck removing an existing plug, cutting off about four inch of wire,then reinstalling the plug?  The wire I removed I would then use to connect the plug to the PID.

As an aside, the help provided in this Forum has been fantastic.

Thank you,

Jim

Tiny Tim

I wish I could help ya, but I can't.  I will, however, welcome you to the forum.  Sit back with yer favorite beverage and shoot the breeze with us.  If you'd like, join the recipe site (link in my signature) and stop by on Tuesday nights for a live chat.  Time varies, but there's usually somebody there by 8:00 Central time.

Arcs_n_Sparks

njoyn,

Wire type has to be the same.

Arcs_n_Sparks

njoyn

Ok, the wire needs to be the same.  I opened up the plug on the end of the thermocouple cable.  The wire is two different wires surrounded by a metal shield.  If i cut off a six inch length of cable, connect the thermocouple plug to the PID, do these two wires need to still be surrounded by the shield?  I am hoping that as long as the wire is the same, hence presenting wire with the same impedance and resistance I wouldn't need the shielding.

Any comments?

Arcs_n_Sparks

You will be okay.

Arcs_n_Sparks