• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp slow to come up

Started by drano38, October 23, 2004, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano38

I've had my Bradley smoker for several months and is working great for ribs and 4 lb pork shoulders.
Recently I make beef sticks and had trouble getting the temp back up after putting the beef sticks in.
Here's the details:
- preheated the smoker on high for 30 minutes w/ water in the pan--got to ~275 deg
- added about 6 lb of beef sticks (3/4 inch diameter, the length of the racks)--it was about 3 racks w/ a little space between each stick for air flow
- smoker temp dropped to about 90 deg and slowly increased in temp along with the meat temp
- after a couple hours the temp was 140, then slowly continued to climb to about 165 when I took them out
I've done 4 lb spare ribs and 4 lb shoulder roasts, and the temp was back up to 200 deg w/in 45 min of putting the meat in.  
Why does it take so long for the temp to recover when I did beef sticks?  Is it the higher amount of surface area?
The outside temp was about 75 deg for the ribs and beef sticks.
Thanks in advance for the help
Drano

Chez Bubba

Pipecleaner,

To me, a larger mass of meat will suck the ambient temp out of the smoker than a smaller one or ones. However, if it takes 20 seconds to slide one rack with a 4# butt in and it takes 2 minutes to slide in 4 racks of beef sticks, you will lose a tremendous amount of heat.

Also, can I digest from your stats that you are using the in-door thermometer for your readings? IMHO, that thing is very unreliable. A good probe thermometer to measure internal temp is the only way to go. (Might be hard with beefsticks, though.) At least use it to get a true smoker cabinet temp.

Welcome to the forum,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

drano38

Chezbubba
Thanks for the reply.
I have a Maverick digital dual probe thermometer, and keep the air sensor from touching meat or racks.  My door mounted thermometer is very close to the digital readings.
I do open the door every hour to rotate the racks, but I open the door when doing ribs or roasts also.  W/ ribs and roasts, the air temp recovers w/in 10-15 minutes of putting the meat in the smoker.  W/ the beef sticks, it never recovered from first putting the meat in (I didn't get 190-200 deg air temp until the meat internal temp got to about 175 several hours later even w/ the temp control at max).
Thanks again, and maybe this will clear up what I am doing.
Drano

jaeger

Try a test with the smoker empty. Check to see if the time and temps coincide with the normal break in period and normal warm up times and temps. Make sure you are using the same type of power source and hook ups as you  have in the past. If you are using a different type of cord or outlet, you may be having inferior results. If these tests seem to show that it is heating properly than you may be opening the door to often.

Doug

Mike47

I, too, noticed that my bradley was very slow to come to temp when pre-heating.  Almost an hour to get to 250. Any thoughts?  Another question:  how much does outside temp affect ability of the smoker to maintain internal temps?  The Bradley looks very well insulated.  Is it?

MallardWacker

This is just a thought.  I don't know if these observations are correct, but I noticed last weekend when I was cooking some brined chicken, there was <b>alot</b> more steam/moisture coming out the vent than normal, at the same time my temp came up slower than usual.  Could it be the amount of moisture could have something to do with the ability to come up to temp after you put in the meat?  Of course I know if you have a large mass of meat or large quanities this will dramaticly have an effect also along with there temps(from the fridge or at room temp). ??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

Are you on an isolated circut or is possibly because the fridge kicked in or the kids were playing the X-box?

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?