• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Power supply

Started by Bill Glass, October 24, 2004, 12:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Glass

I have recently purchased an original Bradley - have got it ready for use but am confused now as the power supply arrangements are not as shown in the manual: The manual shows power to the tower, then linked to the Smoke Generator by removable cords.

The unit itself however, has a fixed cord into the generator with a removable linking to the tower. Result is that the puck burner has to be on at all times that the tower heater element is.

In the light of this, how dop I 'turn off the smoke' as some recipes state? Surely it is not good for the puck element to be constantly on? Any ideas?

jaeger

Bill,
Welcome to the forum. There should be a switch on the front of the generator that will turn power off on the generator. The sliding switch at the bottom of the oven controls the power and heat to the oven.

Doug

nsxbill

I always leave the smoke generator on through the entire cooking time.  It raises the interior temp, is consistent, and posts from the more experienced say it will do no harm.  I use the BBQGuru, load up 4 hrs of pucks, and check back about 12 - 14 hrs later (depending what I am cooking), most times no peek for the entire period.  I never go over 205-smoker temp, so even the bottom shelf items don't overcook. I try to put larger stuff on the bottom shelf on those smokes where I am not around.

Go ahead and leave it on.  I use Bubba pucks with one extra puck on top of the bubba pucks.  It pushes the last one off into the water, and an aluminum one forward onto the heating element.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Bill Glass

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />Bill,
Welcome to the forum. There should be a switch on the front of the generator that will turn power off on the generator. The sliding switch at the bottom of the oven controls the power and heat to the oven.

Doug
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the welcome Doug - with the configuration shown in the manual, your comment would be fine, as the power would go to the tower first and the slide control would be active- however, with the wiring I have, with a fixed mains cord to the generator, the power switch on the generator turns off the power to the generator outlet, which feeds the tower.

I did wonder if I could plug a second power cord direct to the tower from the outlet and discard the link, but don't know if the generator has any kind of voltage regulation as well as the mains switching.

Its not a great concern, I'll call Bradley next week - just seemed odd that it is so different from the manual and wondered if this was a knbown issue !!

Many thanks, Bill

Chez Bubba

Bill,

I think calling Bradley is your best bet one this one. Most of us users here have 110v units, the ones you Brits get may be done up a little differently.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?