• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID Complete!

Started by Ted, September 27, 2007, 12:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

All that is left is the auto-tune.  Well, I tested everything but the SSR, we'll see about that later. :)

Parts:
Auber Instruments 1/16 DIN PID
Aubern Instruments 25A SSR
Omega Thermocouple (TJ72-CASS-18G-6-SMPW-M)
Omega TC mini hack (RMJ-K-R)
Lighted Rocker Switch (Lowes)
Schurter IEC320 AC Inlet/Outlet part #4300.0301 (Mouser.com)
C13 to C14 power cable part #318004-02 (Mouser.com) - Exact copy of the generator to cabinet cable that comes with the OBS
Radio Shack Project box
16 ga wire (Lowes)
wire nuts (Lowes) Up to 4 - 16 ga wires
16 ga .25 inch post connectors female (Lowes)
16 ga narrow V connectors (Lowes)
Heat shrink tubing (Lowes)

Did I forget anything?  Unfortunately, this did not cost me $100.  I don't think I'll do a final tally.

Here's how it looks.

Front, ambient temperature:

Front, TC in a cup of hot water:

Rear, TC and power in (this will be from the smoke generator) connected:

All in all, I am pretty happy with how it came out.  I could have put the PID in more square and I should have used more than one color of wire.  :)  But if it works, I will be more than happy.

No heatsink yet.  We'll see how things go.  I may be replacing the SSR eventually anyway.  I had some trouble with connecting the wire and I may have damaged it.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement all!

Ted

Mr Walleye

Ted... You did a bang up job! Looks great!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

Looks good, Ted.  I didn't use a heat sink on mine, I just bolted the SSR to the metal plate that came with the project box, and drilled some holes in the box and plate to allow airflow.  I also didn't figure a 25 Amp relay would get very hot when the main fuse in the circuit will only allow 10 Amps through.  I may be wrong, but I haven't burned anything down yet. :D

Ted

Thanks Mike and Tim.

Well, if anything burns, I'll be ready with the fire extinguisher.

Does plastic smoke go good with pork?  Doubt it. :)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Ted,

Very nice.....

Arcs_n_Sparks

LilSmoker

Looks very neat and tidy

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Artmiester

Hey Ted, Nice job!
As far as a heatsink goes, my original plan was to leave the SSR hanging out the back of the box and let it go at that. Once I had it operating, noticed while preheating it got pretty hot (failed Arc's 5 second thumb test). Ordered about a 2" square heatsink from RShack and mounted it with thermal epoxy. Works great. Hope this helps.  ;) ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Ted

Gracias all!

Yeah Art, I am thinking I will head that direction. 

Sadly, I am not going to get a chance to actually put meat to this thing for 2 weeks!  Well, maybe I should throw something in there before the In-laws come and I need to impress...

Stickbowcrafter

It sure is nice to have greater control over your OBS. I installed a programable temperature switch in mine and it makes smoking so much more precise. Nice work!

-Brian