• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

hot smoked pork loin

Started by LBgrouper, October 14, 2007, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBgrouper

Hello everybody,just smoked my first pork loin with some success.The plan was to cold smoke but work commitments and lack of time put an end to that, bought a small loin weighing just under 1 kilo as it was my first attempt and brined in an instantcure with added brown sugar for 2 days with the fat still on.I then followed smoke/cook times from stickbowcrafters recent post on canadian bacon using cherry bisquettes,the meat was lovely and tender,not to salty or smoky,also put a couple of thin slices under a hot grill to crisp the fat which went crispy but still leaving the meat tender.

[/img]

LBgrouper

cant seem to get a hang on the photobucket thing yet,here goes again.

Gizmo

Quote from: LBgrouper on October 14, 2007, 11:32:26 AM
Hello everybody,just smoked my first pork loin with some success.

Not sure what you mean by some success.  Looks pretty tasty.  I suspect you may have been expecting more of canadian bacon result but I believe the cure time of 2 days is too short for the cure to penetrate all the way through the meat.  I'll have to go back to Stickbowcrafter's post on Canadian Bacon to see if there was a different cure time from what I normally use which is from Habanero Smoker at 6 days.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LBgrouper

Hello gizmo,your right about the cure time being to short,recommends on the cure instructions 4 to 5 days for small joints,7 to 8 for larger ones.As i didnt collect the cure untill midweek and only having time to smoke on the sunday was the reason for the 2 day cure,also figured that since i did the internal temp to 160f and shall be reheating the rest under the grill the next day that it would be fine.Planning a larger loin for next week which should be purchased tomorrow and will leave this to cure for full 5days then soak in fresh water for about 1/2 hour to1 hour to take out some of the salt or would this defeat the purpose of curing longer in the first place.

MRH

LB rinsing is a good idea.  I have cured a couple loins now using Morton Tender Quick and Buckboard Bacon mix and always rinsed/soaked them good.  You won't rinse out the cure, and they were fine, real tasty!  Yours looks pretty good to me.

Mark

West Coast Kansan

LBg Looks like you got the hang of Photobucked AND the loin just fine  ;D ;D ;D

Looks great.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Nice job.  I did a top pork loin roast yesterday.  Applied olive oil, some of Iceman's rub, refrig Saturday over night, smoked for 4 hours with maple at 200 to 155 internal temp, FTC for 2 hours and sliced.  Will take to 160 next time - almost done to my taste at 155.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

I too, smoked a 4 lb. pork loin yesterday.  Trimmed off all the fat, cured with Morton TenderQuick for 3 days, rinsed for 30 minutes and left to air dry in the frig for about 18 hours.  Two hours worth of Maple smoke and IT of 160.  Turned out great.  My wife thinks I'm a genius! ;D

KyNola

Duster

man that loin looks good :o I haven't ventured into a pork loin yet but I'm gonna have to real soon. I want to do a couple more butts before the weather turns to cold to pull an all night er next to the smoker and a bucket of beer. Then by the looks of the smoke times you all are talking about with a loin I should be able to prepare one through the week and smoke it on a saturday or Sunday without needing to brave the cold autumn nights. I can't wait, that really looks good.

hillbillysmoker

great looking loin. You are absolutely right for a more Canadian Bacon product more curing is required.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stickbowcrafter

Congrats LB, looks great! 48 hours in the brine I used was perfect for mine.

-Brian

Gizmo

Quote from: Dustin on October 15, 2007, 01:57:42 PM
man that loin looks good :o I haven't ventured into a pork loin yet but I'm gonna have to real soon. I want to do a couple more butts before the weather turns to cold to pull an all night er next to the smoker and a bucket of beer.

Dustin, Don't be afraid to put your 4 hours of smoke on then boat the meat and finish in the oven.  The Bradley is just an oven after the 1st 4 hours (smoke time or less) so I always suggest using what works and doesn't create limitations.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Duster

Ya know Gizmo, I have often wondered that but have came to the conclusion that, that wouldn't be as much fun ;D thanks for the advice.