New OBS Cooking Temp's

Started by JDNC, November 16, 2008, 09:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

Hi everyone, a newbie waiting on my first OBS.

I'm not new to smoking but new to the Bradley with a few questions. I've noticed most recipes for the smoker call for preheating and would like to know do you try to adjust your temp as you cook to maintain the preheat temp (as the temp will fall after adding meat) or do you preheat, add meat and wait for the desired IT without trying to maintain the preset preheat temp? The recipes don't specify.

Oh, I haven't received my OBS, but expect it anyday, can't wait as I'm a BBQ junkie!

JD

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum JD!

Your gonna love your OBS, it'll take your Q to whole new level!  I always pre-heat my smoker, throw the meat in and let the PID take care of the rest till the desired IT is hit!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum JDNC!

I usually pre-heat to a temp 25 degrees higher than the cook temp, then step down to the cook temp after the food goes in.

It's probably not necessary, but I do it anyway.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

QuoteI usually pre-heat to a temp 25 degrees higher than the cook temp, then step down to the cook temp after the food goes in.

It's probably not necessary, but I do it anyway.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I do it that way also. It allows for a quicker recovery time after opening the door and putting the cold meat into the smoker. I also have several small fire bricks in the bottom of the tower, to asorb and hold the heat to aid in quicker recovery.

beefmann

JD .. welcome to the forum

there is a lot of good people here as well as people that are  willing to help, AS for preheaiting  it is a  must .. you need to preheat the smoke generator as well as the box, the smoke generator needs at  least 30 minutes to be hot ehough to cook the  bisquetts and the box would be about the same.. the best cook temps are 200 to 220 box temp and a  meat IT temps are between 145 and190 typically.

dont worry when you have a boxtemp of 220 and then you  place a  piece of meat in it and the box temps drops to 140    this is  normal and it  will come up as the  meat  cooks

JDNC

Thanks guys for the warm welcome,

I've been wanting a BS for a while and just recently ordered one.  I also have put a lot of confidence in this forum's suggestions reference temp control, etc. and decided to go the temp-switch direction for the time being. I ordered the Dwyer TS and Maverick temp monitor last night.  I don't know when I'll have time to install the TS but I will have it it hand when I find time. I guess I'll put rubber legs or wood support on the front bottom to attempt to prevent this crack problem on the slide switch. I saw a neat installation of the Dwyer TS on one of the post and wonder if I will have to cut-out the front of the slide-switch panel for this installation.  I guess I should wait until my warranty runs out prior to this mod but I don't know if I can...ha..am I long winded or what?

Again thanks for the warm welcome and info,  I've been reading on this forum and also the recipe forum all week-end and found both to be very informative.

JD

beefmann

JD,

the Dwyer looks like a nice unit with its 16 amp controland pricing...you  will be very happy with it  installed. it will make a  huge difference once installed. One thing i did notice is that it is not a  duel display like auber pid...would like to hear about how it works for you

keep us posted please

thanks

Oldman

Generally I pre-heat to the max before I put anything in. Then adjust the temp with or without the use of a PID controller.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!