• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heating Element

Started by randyb543, January 06, 2008, 02:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randyb543

I have a new heating element to replace the broken one in the tower, but for some reason, the screws keeping the wire cover in place over the element are stripped and won't come out. Any suggestions?.......

Help, I need to smoke something!

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure how hard they are to get to. I would have to take a look at my smoker. I have used needle nose vise grips to remove stripped screws. Use the pliers to grip the screw from the top, not the side, and twist. The screws should not be fastened that tightly, so regular needle nose pliers may work; if you have enough room to work in, either should work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dick621

You might try slipping a knife blade under the screw head and prying up slightly as you unscrew with your screw driver.  Works for me sometimes.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Gizmo

If you have one or don't mind spending a few bucks for them, an easy out might be the answer.  Haven't looked at the heating element or mounting screws, but I have used an easy out to take out head stripped screws.  Sometimes you need a small drill bit to drill a hole in the top of the screw and then use the easy out (it is more like a drill bit with a blade flute that grabs in the counter clockwise direction).  Of course, this would depend on whether the threads are stripped or the head of the screw. The easy out may still do the trick if the threads are stripped, it would depend on if you can get the easy out to grab.

Some other names are E-Z out, Screw Out and can be purchased for under 10 Dollars.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

I would as mentioned, try and get something like a filling knife behind the element, to help tease it off whilst unscrewing

You could also carefully grind off the screw heads with a Dremel or similar, then once the old element is removed, push the remainder of the screw out, and fit the new element with thicker screws if need be?

I think the element is fitted to the inner skin with self tapping screws?, so you may also drill new screw holes, slightly offset to the originals, if you messed up the originals.

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes