• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

DEHYDRATOR

Started by sherlock, December 05, 2007, 11:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Well, I did it.

Ordered a Cabelas 80L unit today.

They are on sale for $249 and with shipping the total is $276.94

Wife says, "I hope that you will really use it".

She is constantly buying throw rugs, pillows, lamps, comforters, etc. over and over again, so she can't really complain too much.

They are out of stock and expect to be able to ship in two weeks. I can hardly wait.

Nathan

Mr Walleye

They are a great unit Nathan! I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

Nathan-sounds like we may be married to the same woman...

Buck36

I have an El Cheapo model that I use. If I were to upgrade what are the benefits? Is it the volume of food that can be dried or do you actually get better temperature control and/or air movement?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Buck36 on December 06, 2007, 11:32:03 AM
I have an El Cheapo model that I use. If I were to upgrade what are the benefits? Is it the volume of food that can be dried or do you actually get better temperature control and/or air movement?

Yup!

You pretty much summed it up!  ;)

- Much greater volume. I've had 2 full loads of jerky from my Bradley in there and there was still room for more.

- Much better temperature control. It's kinda like having a PID, you just set the temp & timer and it does the rest. I have never even rotated racks on it.

- Much better air movement. Like I said I've never even rotate racks in it before. I find it far quicker as well because of the air movement.

It really is a great unit and not even comparable to the other units I've owned in the past, I'm very happy with mine.

Mike

Buck36

Thanks for the tips....may be time for an upgrade.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 06, 2007, 11:47:59 AM
Quote from: Buck36 on December 06, 2007, 11:32:03 AM

Yup!

You pretty much summed it up!  ;)

- Much greater volume. I've had 2 full loads of jerky from my Bradley in there and there was still room for more.

- Much better temperature control. It's kinda like having a PID, you just set the temp & timer and it does the rest. I have never even rotated racks on it.

- Much better air movement. Like I said I've never even rotate racks in it before. I find it far quicker as well because of the air movement.

It really is a great unit and not even comparable to the other units I've owned in the past, I'm very happy with mine.

Mike

;D  ;D  ;D

nepas

sherlock

Received unit yesterday evening.

Can't wait to use it.

Mike, How about some tips on using it. I will start with jerky that I presmoke in my DBS. How long would you suggest I smoke it and long and at what temp in the Cabela?

Thanks
Nathan

Mr Walleye

Hi Nathan

You will be amazed with that unit.

I usually preheat my Bradley to 170 including the smoke generator. Load the jerky, then put 1 hour 20 minutes of hickory on it. Next I transfer it over to the dehydrator at 155 for ground or 150 for whole muscle. I find the whole muscle jerky seems to dry quicker than the ground in the dehydrator. I think total time in the dehydrator for whole muscle is 2.5 to 3.5 hours. the ground is usually 3.5 to 5 hours. These are just estimates and you really want to go by feel. After a couple of batches you will get a feel for it.

Keep us posted how you make out.

Mike