• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pulled pork question

Started by NEGGS1, December 21, 2007, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEGGS1

i smoked a 10 lb pork butt 2 weeks ago (it was my first time using my new smoker), everything turned out great thanks to all of the advice that i got from this board.

i went back to the same store and asked for a 10lb butt, they gave me two 5 lb butts instead

now i am nervous because along with ham in the oven and turkey on the grill i was going to surprise my family on christmas day with some pulled pork off the smoker.

questions are:

which rack should i put each butt, i would guess that the lower one will get done faster, how much faster?

the last time i smoked a butt i told my wife that we may be eating in 2 hours or 2 days, obviously i cannot tell grandma that, so i need to know approximately how long these will take

i plan on ftc as soon as it is done, so as long as it is done early i will be fine

how many people should 10lbs feed?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE

neggs

Gizmo

Getting done faster is not necessarily the goal for low and slow but that is not to say it can't be done.  I usually stay away from the lowest racks in the Bradley since that is where the heat is generated and you will experience the most temp swings.  I would use the second and third rack down from the top.  I would think 10 hours would do the job but there are several factors that would change that.  If you start to run out of time, you can always toss the butts in the oven wrapped in foil and heat at a higher temperature to finish them if needed.
Your 10 lbs is pre-cooked weight and I would expect you will lose some wieght with the fat rendering out.  Figure 8 to 10 oz. per person but then that also depends on what else you are server, how it is served (on a bun, etc.) and how much of a hollow leg your guests have.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Also I would try to get both butts on the same rack. You will only need about 1" between them. If it's a tight fit try tying them with a few strands of butchers twine that will give you more room.
Are the butts boneless. If so they will take less time to smoke/cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)