• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pork butt question

Started by virginsmoker, December 20, 2007, 11:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

virginsmoker

What should I be looking for when picking out a pork butt for the smoker? I stopped and looked at the local grocery store this morning and they had three of them and they all looked very marbled with fat and a thin 1/8" layer of fat on one side.

Corey

iceman

Quote from: virginsmoker on December 20, 2007, 11:12:26 AM
What should I be looking for when picking out a pork butt for the smoker? I stopped and looked at the local grocery store this morning and they had three of them and they all looked very marbled with fat and a thin 1/8" layer of fat on one side.

Corey

That sounds about right. You want a fat cap and some good thick marbling through out the roast. Smoke it with the fat cap up so as it melts it runs through the roast to keep it moist. It will also draw the rub seasonings into the meat that way.

Tiny Tim

Sounds pretty good to me.  One thing about pork...get it as fresh as possible, while still safe, it can have a funky taste/smell if close to the "use or freeze by" date.

virginsmoker

Thanks alot for your input guys. now if I could just get icemans sauce to magically appear at my doorstep.

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: virginsmoker on December 20, 2007, 11:12:26 AM
What should I be looking for when picking out a pork butt for the smoker?

A big one!   ;D

or better yet, two!!