• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

what beef for jerky?

Started by pensrock, February 21, 2008, 12:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Ok, I have been reading way too many posts about making jerky and I am all out of venison. So what cut of  beef does everyone use when making beef jerky? I have a slicer so that will not be a problem. I would guess maybe a rump or bottom round roast would work? Thanks.  :-\

Mr Walleye

Pensrock

I try to use eye of round for jerky but I don't see any reason not to use inside or outside round either. I would buy what you can get for the best price. Just make sure you trim any fat out of it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

pensrock

Try london broil. Also skirt or flank is good.

I have even made jerky from a nice packer briskit  ;D

nepas

FLBentRider

The first time I used flank steak. Since then whatever is on sale, the last 2 batches were bottom round.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Thanks for the help, I have one more question. How many pounds of sliced beef will fit in a four rack BDS?

Mr Walleye

Pensrock

It depends if you use 4, 8 or 12 racks. For the most I have used the inverted 8 rack setup when I was finishing in the BS and I can get around 7 lbs in. I have done 10 lbs with the 12 rack setup before. Certainly the more you do at a time the longer it takes if you are finishing in the BS because it effects the air circulation. I use my dehydrator to finish with so the only thing I use the BS for is to apply the smoke so I'm not that concerned with circulation as much.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Depends on how thick you slice it, but I can get five lbs on five racks. Inverting 1 rack over another I should be able to get 8 racks in my 4 rack OBS. Using that math you should be able to get 12 lbs in a 6 rack DBS.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

scottfish1

Just stick with  bottom round, this  is less  fat. ss

tkoshot

I use top round or whatever is lean and onsale.  You can get good advise in some of the stores from the boys in the meat department.  I worked in a Grocery store for years, the old guys in the butcher shop are a wealth of information.

tkoshot

ps 17 years in the grocery business and all I learned I learned from the guys in the meat department....