• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New user

Started by LiL Smokie, December 29, 2007, 12:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiL Smokie

I received a Bradley smoker for X-Mas from my wife.  I am going to start using it with cheaper cuts of meat in case I screw it up.  I am going to try the bone-in pork loin roast from the Bradley recipe.  The recipe says to smoke 6 to 10 hours depending on the size of the roast.  The roast is 4 pounds.  How long should I smoke?  Can I over smoke?  Is there a rule of thumb for smoking.....so long per pound?  Thanks in advance for any help I get.  My next venture will be with bacon so any help I could get there would also be appreciated.  Thanks Again!
Vise-Gripper

Gizmo

Welcome Greenhorn,

Many factors affect time.  Size, cook temp, fat content, bone-in, moisture content in meat, desired internal temp, etc.  The time below could be close for a 4 pounder.  I have never done one that small so can't say from experience.  Typically, the smoke is only applied for 4 hours or less.  The amount of actual smoke flavor people like varies as does their preferance for the type of wood.  Error on the side of not enough at first and you can always increase on your next attempt.  As far as oversmoking, you might find that the meat does not absorb much smoke once the meat temp gets to 140 degrees and you will be spending money on pucks with not much benefit.

The recipe site has a great bacon recipe and there are many posts on the forum for how others have done.  Click on the link under my post for the recipe site.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LiL Smokie

Thanks for the quick reply.  Based on your experience, what flavor wood do you recommend.
Vise-Gripper

Gizmo

I like apple or oak on pork.   They are on the lighter side of flavor.

Habanero Smoker

For pork I generally use either pecan or maple, those two are also good choices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

I agree with the advice given. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LiL Smokie

The pork has been soaking for 24+ hours now.  I will attemp the smoke in the morning.  I was a little nervous because of all of the variables that  go with smoking meat.  I figure if I screw it up I will learn from my mistakes and try again.....boy am I glad I found this forum!  I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.  If it's bad I can always wrap it up and give it to my mother-in-law for New Years.....Just kiddin
Vise-Gripper

Gizmo

Make sure the surface of the meat is dry if you are brining (soaking) the pork.  Smoke absorbs better IMHO on a drier surface.  Dry rubs are very popular for flavoring the outside of pork.  Let us know how it turns out.  I think you will surprise yourself and if the M-I-L does get to sample some results, you will most likely become the favorite S-I-L (son-in-law), which may also have the unwanted result of most visited.  Sorry Mother-In-Laws.   

LiL Smokie

Gizmo,
    The pork turned out great.  When I do it again I will smoke for less time.  My son say the pork soaking and he said that he would never eat anything that looked like that.....There is not any left.  Even invited the M.I.L over and she liked it.  The family cannot wait for the next trial.  I was going to smoke with apple but this morning I realized that I did not have any.  I used maple and it turned out good.  The boy's harvested another deer today so they are ready to make jerky.

Thanks
Vise-Gripper

LiL Smokie

Guy's,
    After the fun I had using my smoker today I thought I would change my name from Greenhorn to LiL Smokie.  With alot of practice I will not always be a Greenhorn.  Happy New Year
Vise-Gripper

NESmoker

Welcome Lil Smokie!

I too am a newb around here, but not to smoking in general. I did a bone in pork loin with just a rub and no brine and it was fabulous!! I think that cut and the OBS go well together.

Anyway - just sayi hi!

NES
Can I borrow your towel?
                 My car just hit a water buffalo. - Fletch