• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New OBS not so good. Help?

Started by oldmanperry, December 29, 2007, 12:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanperry

Hey all, I got the OBS for Christmas, have been reading here and getting pretty excited.  Today was the day so I started the seasoning process and went to get some food together.  Long story short, the unit advanced the first couple of pucks then no more.  The heating elements are both working, all lights are on, but no puck advancement.  I tried taking all the pucks out, cleaning out any loose saw dust etc. but when I put them back in and press the advancement button...nothing.  I'm assuming it's a mechanical problem and was wondering if anyone here has any ideas of what I can do.  I tried calling Bradley, it went to voice mail.  It's a 3 hour ride back to Cabelas to return it and I'd rather not.  In the mean time I'm going to get some Charcoal for the Weber, a Kettle can't break.  Please help if you can.
Thanks,  Matt

Gizmo

When you press the advance button (with the feed tube and all pucks removed), does the puck advance tray (black plate where the pucks sit on top of) move?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

oldmanperry

Nope, no movement, no noise.  It worked for the first couple pucks, then nothing.

Arcs_n_Sparks

With no noise, sounds like a wire has come off or the switch has failed (assuming everything else is getting juice).

Gizmo

If you are a little handy with a screw driver you can take the unit apart and see if there is something loose.  If you can't find anything, call the Bradley support number on Monday, they will hook you up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Stickbowcrafter

Sorry to hear that. Don't give up yet, it is a great unit when working properly. It can do wonders that my Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker can't do.

-Brian

oldmanperry

Okay, got a new unit.  So far so good, I'm seasoning right now and everything seems to be working.  Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to using it during the playoffs.
Matt

Mr Walleye

That's great news Matt!

Keep us posted on your projects!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Outstanding Matt!  Welcome aboard.

KyNola

LiL Smokie

Vise-Gripper

oldmanperry

Smoked buffalo wings and apple juice/bourbon pork loins.  Cheap and easy seemed like a good place to start.  Turned out great!  Now my only problem is the weather.  It wasn't all that cold out today but even with the unit at full heat, I had a long wait to crack 200F.  My next project is to find some plans for an insulated housing unit to give me a little more protection from the elements.  Something simple and somewhat portable since I'm stuck working outdoors for the foreseeable future. 
Thanks again all,
Matt