• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Smoker From England Says "Hello"

Started by EnglishGuy, January 09, 2008, 05:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

After removing the chickens from the brine, let them air dry until a pellicle is formed (the skin will feel tacky to the touch). You can air dry them in the refrigerator overnight uncovered, or do a quick air dry by placing them in front of a fan for about an hour.

Rub with olive oil, apply your favorite rub, and smoke/cook at the highest temperature you can get your smoker, that is if you don't have the sausage in the smoker at the same time. When smoking chicken with skin you will need to open the vent at lest 1/2 open, maybe wider to ensure that the moisture escapes. After a few hours you can close it to about 1/4 open. For whole poultry I take them out when the internal temperature measured at the deepest part of the thigh is 162°F - 165°F. I also like to rotate my chickens. I like to rotate the shelves front to back and top to bottom, after the smoke has been applied.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

EnglishGuy

Thanks Gizmo.

My gut feeling was that the temperature would be too low to be plugging their butts with beer cans. I think I'll just lay them flat instead.

And thanks Habenero

The sausages won't add much bulk to the smoker, only about 1lb, so shouldn't make much difference

Habanero Smoker

Hi EnglishGuy;

I didn't think about the load you were smoking. It's just that I smoke my sausage different then I do chicken; using lower temperatures then I increase it during the smoking/cooking time. If it is only one pound I would throw them in also. One thing I forgot to mention. If you smoke/cook your chicken horizontally be careful when you remove them from the smoker. A lot of liquid gathers in the cavity, and the slightest tilt of the tray will end up giving you a hot foot.

As for can chicken, I have done that in the smoker with very good results. The only problem I have is keeping them upright when I load and unload. The heat does not have to get up to boiling for infusion to work, also the metal can is a good conductor of heat. Water and water based liquids evaporate at all temperatures. Depending on the source, simmering begins at 180°F or around 200°F. If making can chicken; a trick I've learned is to plug the neck cavity with a lemon. That will help trap the moisture inside, and you get better infusion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)