• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork Questions

Started by SC, February 10, 2008, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC

Couple of questions for the pros:

1)  Is there a huge difference in pulled pork that comes from a bone in shoulder vs. a boneless shoulder?  I know in theory the bone should add some flavor--but it's just so easy to pick up the boneless shoulder at Costco and I just apid around $19 for 14 pounds.  That's hard to beat.  It turned out se well, it's scary to think it could be better.

2)  If you do 2 shoulders and are going to freeze one of them, what's the best way to freeze it?  Should you pull it first, or just stick the whole thing in a ziploc freezer bag?

Thanks

West Coast Kansan

Welcome SC, The biggest difference I have found is the bone is in one and missing in the other... sorry had to start there  ;)

I think what you are describing is a pork butt - shoulder where I grew up was different but ya never know... region has a lot to do with names. Anyway

To be honest I dont think there is a huge taste difference.  I think the bone helps it cook / FTC a little nicer because the piece has not been surgically opened.  Others like the Boston Butt (Boneless) because they can develop more bark with the rub if it has been opened. 

I would pull it before freezing. It lets you split up the left overs into the size piles you think you will use at one time.  The pulled is also easier to thaw... immerse in hot water in the sink... - a vacuum packer is going to be your friend.  Much better than zip locks especially if you will keep it frozen any length of time. Zips do work good for the short term just push them flat when you seal them to remove as much air as possible.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

CLAREGO

i prefer the shoulder over the butt any day ! just my opinion. all though  it seems lately that the little piggies are getting less and less fatty.

ListerD

A place by me (Butera) has bone in butt for $ .89/lb. Too bad my freezer is full! Only had room for a 7lb'er.

Thinking about buying a deep freeze tomorrow!  ;) ;D :P