• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp. Slider bar not working

Started by DerekT, November 17, 2004, 06:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekT

I have the original Bradley smoker and love it. Recently I notice that the temperature slider bar does not appear to be working correctly. When the slider is on the far right side, the light will come on the the element turns red fairly quickly. If the slider is not on the far right, the heating element does not appear to be working, and the light does not come on. Originally the light would go from dim to bright as I slid the bar to the right.
I'm stumped, would this be symptomatic of a heating element problem or a wiring issue? I just don't know where to go.

Any input on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks!

nsxbill

Sounds like a bad rheostat switch(The Slider).  BS will prob replace if less than a year old.  If not, check with Chez Bubba or BS depending on where you want to purchase.  If the switch is too pricey on its own, and still works when full on, you could also consider an aftermarket electronic controller then you won'g care if it works or not. (BBQ Guru with Raptor electrical controller)

Good luck.  Hope it is less than a year old!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Derek,

By "light comes on" I'm assuming you mean the heater tube. Yes, on high, it will glow orange. But on lower settings, it may be difficult to see visually, especially during the day. The key is, is it producing heat? AND FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T TOUCH IT TO FIND OUT![:D]

Another thing to check is that the four ceramic holder screws are tight. Only snug, don't wrench on them or you'll crack the holders. It's a phenomena that even the engineers at Bradley can't explain, but if they are loose, the bulb won't function properly.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

DerekT

Thanks to you both for such detailed responses -
I will look into both options - screws 1st, then reostat replacement. What a great forum. This weekend we smoked turkeys - which required about 225 degrees, so the temp. slider problem was no worries. The light I was referring to was the power indicator light next to the slider bar, typically it came on low intensity and brightened as I slid the bar up/to the right.

The turkey turned out great (brined with orange peels, cloves and apple juice) - I think I may have sold a couple of Bradley Smokers because of it. [:)]

Thanks for this resource.

Respectfully,

DerekT