• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Finger food ideas

Started by bigredsmoker, December 12, 2007, 07:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Hot tub, Matinis, you are truly a couple after my own heart. Man after all that good food and company that is the way to end the evening. Glad it all turned out. ;)

La Quinta

Hell...we wanna be invited to the next party!!!

NePaSmoKer

Hows about some olive penguins  ;D

nepas

La Quinta

Nepas...Those are really kool!!! Looks like...black olives...carrots (Ice take note) and cream cheese?

Consiglieri

I was reading this thread just now and the "march of the penguins" was singing.  Thanks, Neps for posting, cuz I was going to have a heck of a time trying to find the earlier post. 

On a different front, try Broccoli alla Romana, a cold spicy dish (recipe from Bugialli's Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking)-- I'll vouch and so will the wife:

1 bunch broccoli
Coarse salt
1/4 cup olive oil (cons. note: evoo is best)
2t red wine vinegar (cons. note: use barrel vinegar, if available)
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely.
1/2t red pepper flakes

Soak broccoli in cold water for .5 hour. Bring a large pot of water to boil while waiting; add the coarse salt to taste.

Prepare the broccoli by trimming off the tough ends.  Cut away the flowerlets from the stems.  cut the stems into 2 inch x .5 inch shoots.  Add the stem shoots to the boiling water first and allow them to cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the Flowerlets and cook an additional 5.  Strain the B and douse with cold water to stop any passive cooking (and strain away again). 

Toss with the remaining ingredients and add additional salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate in a glass or crockery bowl covered with plastic for at least one hour.  Stir, plate and serve.  Buon appetito.  If you try, please post your thoughts. 
Consiglieri

bigredsmoker

Consigliari, I like to steam my veggies, that should work as well don't you think??

Terry

Consiglieri

Quote from: bigredsmoker on January 19, 2008, 07:19:05 AM
Consigliari, I like to steam my veggies, that should work as well don't you think??

Terry

I'm sure steaming will work just fine.  The goal is to have al dente vegetables.  You want some of the crispness to remain.  Give this recipe a try, you'll like it. 
Consiglieri

bigredsmoker

May have to try tonight. I have a bunch of Broccoli in the fridge to use up before it goes bad. Thanks!!

Terry

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

La Quinta

So Consigs...you eat the stems as well? For some reason reading the recipe I assumed you just wanted the stems to flavor the water? I guess I should go back and re-read....I like broccoli (tops) with lemon juice, garlic and olive oil...maybe a little salt! Never did the pepper flakes...gotta try that!! Thanks! :)

bigredsmoker

Yes we did. They were good, seemed to be missing something that we couldn't put our finger on. We thought maybe try Basalmic vinager next time. I even used the barel aged red wine vinagar. I know broccoli is not the most falvorful of veggies, but it just seemed like it needed something. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 6. Thanks for the recipe.

Consiglieri

Quote from: bigredsmoker on January 24, 2008, 04:04:29 PM
Yes we did. They were good, seemed to be missing something that we couldn't put our finger on. We thought maybe try Basalmic vinager next time. I even used the barel aged red wine vinagar. I know broccoli is not the most falvorful of veggies, but it just seemed like it needed something. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 6. Thanks for the recipe.

The last time I did this one, I think I used a mixture of barrel and balsamic.  With the salt and the red and black pepper, it can have quite a kick.  Did you let it sit in the glass bowl refrigerated for an hour (that seems to let the flavors settle in)?  Anyway, thanks for being adventurous.

LQ: carve away the tough ends of the stems, but you can use the rest.  Start cooking those before the flowers. 
Consiglieri

bigredsmoker

Yes, I did let it rest in the fridge for more like 2 hours. I ended up boiling them as you instructed, I think I could have done them for less time as well. I think 3 minutes would have been long enough. I do think I willtry again and use Basalmic. I think that would add the little something we thought was missing. Thaks again. I am always willing to try something new, so don't hesitate to offer up any new recipes you may have.

Terry