• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Caught myself chewing on my hand

Started by Fixitfanatic, January 16, 2008, 04:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fixitfanatic

I can't take it any longer. I was staring at the pictures posted by hillbillysmoker and caught myself gnawing on my hand. Where can I get the recipe for the fatties and little smokies. I looked in the time tested recipes and saw now sign of either one.        Thanks folks...........Dave
WHEN THERE'S SMOKING TO DO, I MUST'NT BE SLOW. SO IT'S HIP, HIP, HIP, AND AWAY I GO!

hillbillysmoker

For a simple fatty you can use Jimmy Dean Sausage right from the market in your favorite flavor, peel the wrapper off the pound roll and put it in the smoker. That is what is in my picture. I use a cabinet temperature of 225 to an internal temperature of 160. Choose the wood of your choice to use. I like 5 pucks of maple when I do mine. You can also do mixtures of sausage with high temp cheeses, variations with vension or beef blend. Basically you can use whatever you have. We usually do several as they freeze well and we incoporate them into sausage cakes, gravey, tacos, chili seasoning, mixed in mac and cheese, spag. sauce, soups. Really your imagination is your limitation for these. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Hey hillbilly

we need a fatty thread goin  :D  :D

nepas

Tiny Tim

I'll join in to make it truly a fatty thread......... :D ;D

KyNola

Nepas, you have fattie radar or an alert posted.  Fixit, I was going to tell you that the fattie King is without a doubt Nepas.  Learn from the King of fatties.  Give it up Nepas.  He needs your knowledge.  First time I made mine was ground beef, ground country ham, shredded cheese and various spices.  They are easy and oh so very good.

KyNola

La Quinta

Made me a fatty girl...first one I did was good...then learned...second and third were awesome..bacon wrap those suckers!! But yes...NePas is the king o fattys...I stuff em with whatever I got in the fridge!!:) Jimmy Dean hot is my fave!!

Fixitfanatic

Thank all of you for your input, ya'll are a beginners blessing. Thanks hillbilly for sharing.  WHEN THERE'S  SMOKING TO DO, I MUST'NT BE SLOW, SO IT'S HIP,HIP,HIP, AND AWAY I GO.
WHEN THERE'S SMOKING TO DO, I MUST'NT BE SLOW. SO IT'S HIP, HIP, HIP, AND AWAY I GO!

NePaSmoKer

NePaSmoKer

Here is a simple recipe for some fattys.

I start by regrinding GB with some maple smoked bacon 1/2 to 1 pnd bacon to whatever lbs of GB you wish.
Add kosher salt,
pinch garlic powder and onion powder
black pepper to taste
bread crumbs seasoned or not, add until kinda sticky. Dont add any egg. you might feel you need to but dont.

You can wrap some with bacon if you like.
Roll into logs and smoke with Maple or whatever wood you like. I use 3 maple and one mesquite. Smoke @ 190/200* until the internal fatty temp is @ 155/160* You can bump the heat up to achieve the internal meat temp.

You might find the fattys shrink up? I use some powdered milk or flavor binder 86.  You can roll smaller longer fattys to eliminate some shrinking too.

Also you dont have to use maple smoked bacon, use what you like  ;D

When done let cool, slice with some cheese N crackers or crumble into just about anything.....HUH hillbilly ;D

ENJOY

nepas

La Quinta

OK...I need to do another couple...yum!

Patience

Just a quick question regarding sodium nitrate, or lack thereof?  The suasage you purchase at the store is the fresh variety and does not contain nitrate.  I have always been under the impression unless you "cook" sauage in a smoker a box temp of greater than 225 deg. or atleast a pretty steep ramp up to that temp. tha sod. nitrate is a must for botulism , escpecially if you hold a box temp of 120-160 for an extended period (i.e. putting the smoke to her).  Not to rain on your awesome recipes parades of fatties and smokies, but what about nitrate?  Or is that chemical overrated, and folks are being too conservative?  Thanks for any feedback.
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Patience on January 20, 2008, 05:37:04 PM
Just a quick question regarding sodium nitrate, or lack thereof?  The suasage you purchase at the store is the fresh variety and does not contain nitrate.  I have always been under the impression unless you "cook" sauage in a smoker a box temp of greater than 225 deg. or atleast a pretty steep ramp up to that temp. tha sod. nitrate is a must for botulism , escpecially if you hold a box temp of 120-160 for an extended period (i.e. putting the smoke to her).  Not to rain on your awesome recipes parades of fatties and smokies, but what about nitrate?  Or is that chemical overrated, and folks are being too conservative?  Thanks for any feedback.

Sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite 2 different animals. No need for either unless you drop under 140*. Meat packers use this to enhance flavor.

All smoked sausages are cured. The reason for this is the threat of botulism. The bacterium responsible, Clostridium botulinum, is ubiquitous in the environment, grows in the anaerobic conditions created in the smoke house and thrives in the 40 °F to 140 °F (5 °C to 60 °C) temperature range. Thus, for safety reasons, the sausages are cured before smoking.

Prague powder #1
Also known as Curing Salt, this is a standard 16.25% cure for any meat that requires cooking, smoking or canning. The reason for using a cure for these forms of cooking meat is to prevent botulism and enhance preservation. Prague Powder is the basic cure you want for sausage, corned beef, ham, bacon, fish, poultry, etc. Ingredients: salt, sodium nitrite, glycerin with FD #3 used to color cure. Also known as Insta Cure #1, or Modern Cure. Look for Morton's Tender Quick.

Prague powder #2
A mixture of 1 part sodium nitrite, 0.64 parts sodium nitrate and 16 parts salt. It is primarily used in dry-curing of certain sausages and hams like Prosciutto.

Hope this helps you out some

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Patience;

You are correct in that a cure (usually nitrite) should be use for smoking/cooking sausage using low temperatures, especially if they are in casings. When cooking fatties, meat loafs and other ground meats that are not cured you need to smoke at a higher temperature to prevent not only botulism but other food borne bacteria, because the bacteria is no longer on the surface of the meat but now ground through out it. When I cook uncured ground meat, such as a meat loaf I use a temperature of 225°F, to get the internal temperature up to 140°F as quickly as possible, and continue to cook until an internal temperature of 160°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

IronHabs...I learn something every single time you post...thanks!! :)

bigredsmoker

I think that there should be a fattie recipe on the recipe site just so it is easier to find a suggested smoke time, temp and internal temp. I had to do a fair amount of searching to find that info. Just a suggestion.