• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

help rendering pork fat

Started by bigredsmoker, January 26, 2008, 01:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I recently got the book Chartcuterie and want to make the Confit Pork recipe. I have looked all over for back fat to render and could find none. A butcher told me they use jowls, so I got 4 pounds and now I need to know how to render the fat from them. Several things I have read say to add 1/4 c water per pound and then simmer either on stove or in the oven until fat is rendered. So, I have it in the oven now at 190 woth the water and the jowls diced up. Does this sound like it will work? Has anyone done this before?? Any help will be appreciated.

Terry

Habanero Smoker

I smoke hams and picnic shoulders and hate to throw away all that fat, so I render the fat that I trimmed from the meat. I have nevered added water, but from what I read 1/4 cup is recommended only at the beginning; not 1/4 per pound. The water is suppose to help prevent the first batch of fat from scorching. I render mine on the stove top on a medium flame.

I chop the skin and large pieces of fat into smaller chunks, place a thin layer fat in a pot or skillet (a medium sauce pan works best), after the first layer melts, add another layer. Continue until you have melted all the fat. I then strain the fat through a collander lined with 2 -3 layers of cheese cloth into another pot. I let it cool a bit then pour into individual containers; such as 1/2 pint mason jars. I've even used plastic margarine container. Of course you would let the fat cool down enough so it would not melt the plastic.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Habs...my husband and I enjoy duck...a lot...would you recommend the same rendering method? Is fat...fat?

Habanero Smoker

After I posted I decided to look through Charcuterie; page 260 they recommend a similar method I posted. The differences from what they recommend are add the 1/4 cup of water at the beginning, and use a much lower flame. This method is recommended for duck, pork or beef.

I forgot to mention everyone should try the Onion Confit. It is great on steaks or any cut of beef, or as a side dish. I've made a few batches already, and it will store in the refrigerator for at least a month, but you are likely to finish it off much sooner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

Wow...onion confit sounds amazing...gotta get on that. So how do you make it? Seems like it would be the same as making onions for sausage and peppers? Low and slow in water, salt, a little sugar?

Habanero Smoker

It's a similar process but different ingredients. It goes good with sausage, great as a topping for hamburgers; as a spread for roast beef sandwiches; the list of uses goes on and on. I make 2 pounds at a time. I'm afraid to make more at any given time, because I would gain a lot of weight in a short period of time.

Here is the recipe from Charcuterie:

Onion Confit
3 oz Unsalted butter
2 pounds of Spanish or other sweet onion; halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 C. Dry white wine
1/4 C. honey
1/4 C White wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. I use a 12" pan. Add the onions and cover. Cook until soft, approximately 30 - 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When finished I put it in the Ziploc containers with the screw on lids, and store it in the refrigerator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.