• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Did another triple smoked bacon

Started by HCT, January 04, 2008, 04:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

Got my pork belly today. A little small compared to what you asy you get, only 6lbs @ $2.49 a pound and the skin has been removed already. Does this sound like a good Price? I split it in two 3 lb sections and mixed up the cure according to Charcuterie. Doesn't seem like very much pink salt really, but I supose it must be enough to do the trick. Used Brown sugar instead of maple sugar and used the maple syrup. Was barely enough to coat, but got it done. Now we leave it for 7 days.

Terry

HCT

Hi Terry,
   When I did my triple smoke I let it sit in the box overnite. Since I kept the temp between 70-80 and it was late december I didn't think I'd have any problems except for critters which didn't bother it.
I used the basic cure and added one tablespoon of dark brown sugar per pound of belly. The next time I'm going to increase it and add some spanish smoked paprika. Maybe a little cayenne to one of them also. I also let the bellies cure in the fridge for 10-11 days, I forgot, but I did keep it in longer for the bellies to firm up a little more. Don't be concerned about the pink salt, a little goes a long way. When I first ordered the pink salt I ordered enough to keep me going into the next lifetime. Didn't know better. :D :D :D The size of the belly depends on where you get it. Most of mine range 8-10lbs., some a little bigger. When smoking just be sure to keep the temps down under 80 until you're ready to pull it. Then bring the temp up to 135-37 slowly. Rest it for a day or 2 is better. If you taste it when you first pull it you'll be disappointed, it needs those 2 days to settle. Price wise you did okay, I pay 1.99lb skinned, Habs is a little cheaper. I read some people are paying 3.99 and more. Have fun, any questions feel free to ask. Enjoy!!!
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Terry;

Prices vary so much by region and time of year, so I say the best price is the lowest price in your area. The last time I only pay around $1.39/lb, but I get my bellies directly from a slaughter house that only slaughter the animals they raise, and all their meat is FDA approved. Because they slaughter their own animals I have to place an order and wait for them to slaughter a hog. 

Sometimes it is hard to tell if the skin is on the bellies. It's not as thick as the skin on the rest of the pig. When I first purchased my bellies I thought they were already skinned, but they weren't. If the skin is on it, that will not be a problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Bigred, did you do the triple smoke? If so how did you like it?
probably the biggest"

bigredsmoker

Yes, I did do the triple smoke with mixed results. the flavor is great, no fantastic, but I think I need to get a little different belly to start with. Mine were pretty thin and very lean. Not much fat band through them at all, so I think they got drier than they would if they were fattier. Also, the skin was off when I purchased them but I think there must have been som places there was some left. It was very hard to slice in spots, so I trimmed that part off the top and it was better. I think I will do another belly bacon, but just do a single smoke and see how it compares. There is no comparison to store bought. The triple smoke blows it away. I also need to try and find some fattier belly. It's kind of sad when you actually want more fat.

Thanks for all the advice guys. If I do find some fattier belly I will for sure triple smoke it.

Terry

HCT

Terry,
   I agree with you about a fattier belly. The meat does dry out faster even when smoking at such low temps. The way I look at it for wanting more fat, I'm a butter addict, the original "Butterton", but the bacon fat is healthier then the butter so you're eating healthy. :D :D :D
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

I have to agree with HCT; the fat is the best part of triple smoked bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)